Pre-IB Spanish I or French I?

LaterGator

Hi there,

I am currently taking Spanish I in my middle school. I am wondering if I should take 'Spanish I' in my Pre-IB High school course or should I take 'French I'? Is the Spanish I in Pre-IB an extension of what I learned in Middle school or is that going to be tougher? Also since I do not know French to begin with will it be tougher if I take French in Pre-IB?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Well I will say that in high school, most teachers expect you to know the basics of a language when taking it but then again, French is the second language of my country and it's mandatory so maybe your high school will allow you having no french background. I've had family in the States who've taken French in high school without knowing anything in middle school. Also, from the little Spanish I've seen, there a few similarities between Spanish and French so I don't think it should be too difficult to catch on. 

My suggestion would be to ask the high school if their French course requires any previous knowledge.

I study both french and Spanish and I can honestly tell you that the languages are very similar and if you know Spanish french will be much easier to learn, the grammer rules are very alike and many words are the same in both french and Spanish. So if you do decide on french I believe you will pick it up relatively quickly. I can't tell you which language is better, but there are more influential Spanish speaking countries than there are french ones.