Analyzing a Poem

Siencefreak

Consider the setting, mood/tone and some features like repetition or imagery etc. For Poe specifically, he is a pretty dramatic and 'mystical' poet. If you look at The Raven for example you have the repetition of 'Nevermore', the dark, mysterious mood, the symbolism and connotations of the raven (being the bird of death and all). 

And there you go. 

Go through your class notes, too. I expect your teacher will have taught you to read and analyze these stories during the whole year, or have you not gone over them together?

It is more than casual "tips" that you'll need if you are serious.

Edited by Blackcurrant

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I am preparing for my IOCs and I have no idea how to analyze a short story. Is there any tips how I can analyze a short story? We are reading Poe's short stories now, and I am struggling with understanding them! :(  

A really great way of analyzing ANY piece of literature (but primarily poetry and prose) is using the STOP, BAD, FIT method!

I've used methods such as mock commentaries, TPCASTT, and also Plan of Action; I find STOP, BAD, FIT the most thorough and helpful in forming analysis. STOP, BAD, FIT will cover all the ways in which you can make some really profound connections within the text. Here we go:  

STOP, BAD, FIT:

1) S-Symbols

in the first step, you should re-read the text and underline/circle any re-occurring or individually profound symbols or instances of symbolism. remember that symbols are usually abstract, so it may take some critical thinking and multiple re-reads. As you find 2-4 symbols, write them down and suggest possible meaning that is a result of the symbols. 

2) T-Themes

Here, you should start to pin-point the main ideas of the work- the themes! You should be familiar with themes. As you find some main ideas, try to find the devices that create thr theme. For example, a theme in Dr. Suess's books is imagination... which is supported by use of end-rhyme (syntax) and visual imagery. See how by just doing that, you could create a semblance of a Commentary? 

3) O-Organization

This one is easy! Simply explain the structure/organization techniques that the author uses... don't forget to say the effect of these organizational techniques!

I'm not SUPER familiar with prose... But for poetry, you would just outline the stanzas, enjambments, punctuation, psychical aspects of the poem, etc. 

4)P-Progression

Here, make note of the point in the poem where there is some kind of shift, and how you know there was a shift. if the tone of the piece suddenly turned dark, how do you know? the imagery changed from visual to auditory? The mood is more surely than it was at the start of the text? And more importantly, why is there a shift? What is the author trying to convey with the progression of the text? 

5) B-Big Three

Another easy one! This step has three sub-steps:

• Speaker- Who is the speaker? try to include some details about them if you can; any details.
  • Audience- Who is the speaker speaking to? Why this person(people)?
  • Situation- context of the poem; What's going on? This is where paraphrasing skills come in handy

6) A-Attitude

Remember- attitude is the mood, and mood is PERSONAL! That's why it's different than the tone. The tone is objective, the mood is subjective. So, what did you personally feel about this poem? Opinions? Does not need to be backed up here; just provide some first impressions.

7) D-Diction

This is all about language! And remember, this will overlap with some other steps. It's okay; if it overlaps, It's probably important! So here, talk about word choices. Why did the author choose the words "humbly accepted" rather than "happily accepted" ? What are the effects of the word choice? Do they support a relevant theme? Does it contribute to the tone of the text?     

8) F-Figurative Language

My personal favorite(: here, outline all metaphors, symbolism, irony... things of that nature. use instances of figurative language to draw connections to previous steps. 

9) I-Imagery

This device gets it's own step because it is so prevalent throughout literature! make sure to specify whether the imagery is visual, auditory, gustatory, olfactory, or kinesthetic. I know I'm being repetitive here but... WHAT IS THE EFFECT OF THE IMAGERY??? Also, pay special attention to this step. Imagery can go a really long way during a commentary. 

10) T-Tone

What is the objective feeling you get from the text? Support with evidence (evidence from above steps!)

Once you've done all these steps, create a thesis statement. A clear, solid statement is going go to give you some control/directness in the IOC. A strong thesis usually will have at least three pieces of evidence, and within those pieces will be individual lines and examples from the text that support your thesis. For example: "In Dr. Suess's short story Red Fish, Blue Fish, Suess alludes to the carelessness of childhood by using literary devices such as end-rhyme, similes, and visual imagery to create a depiction of the past. (of course, make your much more refined and relevant to the text) Then, you could go in and address end-rhyme (and simile, and imagery) and give examples of how the end-rhyme alludes to childhood (thesis)! All in all, this method provides a way for you to organize you're thoughts and make connections that you can discuss in your IOC! or any other rotten IB assessment. 

• Like 4