Is this an appropriate article for the Economics IA?

Hi guys I have the question concerning my Microeconomics IA. I chose to analyse the following article

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11324854

It is more political than economic article, however there is a mention about increasing taxes on alcohol to fund new policies of the political party. I have already made an introduction and analysis with diagram, explaining how taxes would affect supply and how taxes would be shared between consumsers and producers and I was about to write an evaluation when my teacher told me he was not sure if it was an appropriate article for the IA. 

In my commentary, I am analysing practically one paragraph, the one with the tax explained:

Dr Whyte claimed the Conservatives would make up the revenue shortfall by raising alcohol taxes - a policy that deputy leader Christine Rankin appeared to let slip at a candidates' meeting. The Act leader estimated that alcohol excises would have to rise from $2 to $14 to cover the policy, increasing the price of an $18 bottle of wine to $30.

My teacher told me that he was not sure if I could make reference to such a small proportion of the article. My grade is the first one in the history that have Economics and that is why we do not have a great experience in writing IA. Now I am confused, not knowing if I should finish writing IA basing on this article or better find something new. That is why I am turning my question to you.

Do you reckon that writing IA basing on this article, referencing to only two sentences from a two-page long article is a good idea and I have a chance to have a good score?

Currently I am really stuck and the deadline for completing this IA is approaching soon so your help will be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Edited by mar_kub

• 4 weeks later...

It's very possible to do a good analysis of that paragraph, however I don't recommend sticking with this article simply because you are referencing such a small portion of it. IB might not like your choice of article. That being said, just find another article pertaining to the same event, and you won't have to change a lot of the work you already have done. :)