Where can I find the Pre- IB syllabus?

A_Happy_Monkey

I highly doubt that, oh let's say, World History HL for Grade 10 (Pre- IB) is the same as World History HL for Grade 11 or 12. I can't really find anything solid on the Internet, nor does my school/ teachers know anything about it (I'm not in high school yet). Where can I find a copy of the curriculum or syllabus or whatever it's called?

You'll find it in the world of pure imagination I'm afraid :P

Pre-IB isn't an actual course, or related to the IB itself, it's something dreamed up by US/Canadian schools for reasons unknown, presumably to make sure you've got enough background that you'll be able to do the actual IB. Although why a normal school syllabus wouldn't provide you with that, I'm not sure. I never did pre-IB, just did the same as everyone else (GCSEs in my case) until the IB started, for instance. Anyway, every school presumably designs their own year and then declares it shall henceforth be named "Pre-IB", so you're best off asking at your own school as they'll know what they've come up with.

The IB's actual own version of "pre-IB" is the mysterious and vanishingly rare "Middle Years Programme" (the MYP in the title of this forum) but really hardly anybody actually seems to take this course. In all honesty, it sounds slightly hippy-ish to me, and with an even higher bull**** rating than the IB itself (hard to believe!) but maybe I just don't know enough about it and it's secretly a pragmatic and highly rigorous education that just happens to sound wishy washy as hell  :P MYP is more than just a single year of prep, so not really comparable to pre-IB.

• Like 1

The IB's actual own version of "pre-IB" is the mysterious and vanishingly rare "Middle Years Programme" (the MYP in the title of this forum) but really hardly anybody actually seems to take this course. In all honesty, it sounds slightly hippy-ish to me, and with an even higher bull**** rating than the IB itself (hard to believe!) but maybe I just don't know enough about it and it's secretly a pragmatic and highly rigorous education that just happens to sound wishy washy as hell  :P MYP is more than just a single year of prep, so not really comparable to pre-IB.

This deserves 10 upvotes.