Extended Essay English B - topic ok?

Thomas

Hi
I just have a few questions about my EE topic. I was thinking of doing something like "Animal Farm and the Russian Revolution". But then I read in the Extended Essay Syllabus about essays from group 2: "it is essential that the focus remains on the culture of the language concerned."
The Russian Revolution is not really English culture, but the book itself is written in English and takes place in England - so do you think it is an ok topic?
They also say that "Students may choose to analyse texts in a detailed literary fashion, or they may use literary texts as a means of exploring the target language or its culture and society. "

I'm very confused right now, so any help is very appreciated.

The book I analysed for my Danish EE was set in England. It barely mentioned Danish culture at all. What I did was a detailed literary analysis of the work regarding the moral utopia and philosophical and ideological implications in the author's proposed utopia. I don't think your topic qualifies as detailed literary analysis (then again I don't know your RQ or the approach you plan on taking). If you take a strictly literary approach and alter your topic slightly it should be fine though. But if you like Orwell maybe you should choose 1984 since it's set in England, just to be on the safe side 8-) .

Isn't that only if you're not doing a literary EE in lang. B? I'm doing my EE on Eng B as well, so I've read the criterion and I think that only applies for lang & culture option, not the literary one.

*EDIT* Hmm, it is in the "Treatment of topic" part... A very good question indeed. If your teacher cannot answer this, then ask her to get on the IBO forum that's meant for teachers (OCC it's called, I think. She should know what you mean) and check from there, there are examiners and experienced teachers who will know.