English B or English A/Lit

Slimtik

Hi,

Basically I cannot decide between choosing either English B/HL or doing English A/SL. I am planning on going to uni in Europe and doing something related to Management / Engineering. My current IB choices are:

Business/ HL

Geography/ HL

Physics/ SL

Maths/ SL

German/ SL

I am currently studying English Literature with around A/B IGCSE grade. What would be the best choice for me?

Thank you.

I would say it actually doesn't really matter for university whether you are doing Eng B or Eng A in your case ! (But make sure that you are definitely doing management or engineering at college !!) So I would  say English B would be a wiser choice . So that you could have more time and energy to concentrate on other difficult subjects , makes your IB life so much easier!!!

But dare I say , I wouldn't recommend doing Business HL which is not highly regarded by universities. Do economics if your school offers it !! -- Econ is difficult by the way .. I think if you are aiming for top-notch university, It would be better to have a relatively more difficult HL subject . ( It makes your application look so much better ) Maths HL or Physics Hl maybe ? You wanna do engineering anyway , you will need both maths HL and physics HL . :)

Good luck with your IB !!!!! 

Edited by Guest

I am currently in my second year of IB English II (HL) and I have to tell you it is deceptively difficult. If engineering is your subscribed study and you are firm on sticking to your grounds, then go with the SL; however, if there is even the most remote possibility that you may want to take a nonlinear career pathway then go with HL. By deceptively difficult I mean former A+ English students (that is, previous to IB classes) are now receiving Ds, very low Ds. Naturally though, if you are truly concerned about it then scheduel a conversation with your school's IB Coordinator. ^_^ Either way, take it Bird by Bird and you will be fine. Good luck!

• Like 1

Well.. You have already 3 SL subjects, so you need to take English A HL :S Actually, you can change everything, but it all depends if you're already good in English. English isn't my first language, but I'm planning on going to USA,CA or UK. And I take English B HL. So.. My friends in English A say that it's too stressful hahaha... Anyways, pick what you feel is the best for you, it also depends on the Unis you want to go to, and the type of career you want to follow.

• Like 1

You don't have much choice if you need to balance your SL and HL sunjects (as Flow4421 quite correctly points out). Anyway, you have a choice of English A Lit and L&L.  You needn't concentrate on literature if you have any doubts about your abilities in that dept.  --you have Lang and Lit. too. You'll enjoy the challenge of English A (HL), at any rate. It'll be fun.  Good luck!

Edited by Blackcurrant