IB English literature commentary vs HSC/VCE Advance English essay writing

KPK

Could some one tell me the difference between "IB English literature commentary" and  "HSC/VCE Advance English essay writing" please?

For someone who has done HSC/VCE  advanced English, what is the best way to learn IB English commentary writing?

ok i didn't know this for the longest time during ib1, but a literature commentary is actually just an essay focused on techniques/themes/"writers choices" and for the longest time english tripped me up because i had no clue what a commentary was and no one in my classes knew what a commentary was and my teacher didn't know and we would all panic before exams because we didn't know what a commentary was but its literally just an essay

honestly i don't know much about hsc adv eng but i believe they just study books in class and get a question on the day about the books? if thats the case then its not too similar because for a commentary you get given 2 passages during the exam, you chose one, then write a commentary (essay) about the poem and everything for the exam is done during the exam while hsc is learn your quotes and answer the question. also my teacher says that in hsc english it will suffice to say "shakespeare uses a metaphor in "...." to show that Hamlet is sad, while in a commentary, you have to show what the effect of the technique is to get good marks

and also on the uac site they say (for hsc conversions)

lang&lit sl= standard english

lang&lit hl=advanced

lit sl =ext1

lit hl=ext 2