Could someone explain to me the use of errors bars in the X-axis?

Intuition

Hello!

I am working currently working on my extended essay in physics.

There's one thing I am a little bit unsure of, and that is the use of error bars in the x-axis.

Okay, so by having them in the y-axis, you can make max-min slope lines, which is great. 

So I am thinking, and I could think of these solutions:

1. Just put them in, then you have error bars in both the x-axis and the y-axis, then graph the max/min slope lines from wherever that the slopes are at their maximum/minimum - The max/min slopes would then look like this:

kethc.png

Very bad sketch. Anyways, the maximum slope would go from the minimum y-value, but maximum x-value of point 1 to maximum y-value and minimum x-value of point 2. Opposite for minimum slope. This makes their gradient as high/low as possible within the bars.

2. Calculate how much difference the uncertainty in the x-values (using the gradient from the trend line) the uncertainty in the x-axis could possible make on the respective y-value plotted and then add this uncertainty to the error bars in the y-axis instead.

3. Dont know  :surrender: