Is poetry better for Paper 2 than texts?

Guest09

Is it easier to relate the IB questions in Paper 2 to texts (the 2 novels read in the class) or Poetry (several of them are done in the class)?

I need to make a decision because our new teacher wants to do poetry (my classmates agreed), however, we did the two texts in the first year of IB with our previous teacher. I just feel like there are more to talk on texts. (I don't know). Shall I go with the poetry? 

I just can't focus thinking of the wastage of time we did in analyzing those two texts!!

PS. I do SL English (Langlit.)

Hi -

By 'texts' I assume you mean prose or just about anything but poetry...

You really can't decide which is "best" until you come to the exam. It's not really advisable to decide before then. Your best chances of succeeding are seeing which texts (prose or poetry) lend themselves best to the question. And you can't decide that until you see the actual questions.

The best thing is just to make sure you know all your texts inside out so that you don't find yourself at a grave disadvantage on the exams. What texts are you studying anyway, which are so unpleasant to analyse?

Edited by Blackcurrant