Hesitating about the subjects choice

UnusualNickname

Hi,

I currently attend to pre-ib class and I have to prepare my subjects proposals by the end of this year. I have took into the consideration many possible ways, sets of subjects,  which I am the most interested in. There is still half a year before I start my first IB class, but as a person with high ambitions I am going to prepare for the curse in the holidays. 

According to my IB cordinator, we are supposed to choose english HL and polish SL. 

First set:

HL: English, Math, Biology, Chemistry

SL: Polish, Business and Managment/Geography

Second set:

HL: English, Physics, Biology, Chemistry

SL: Polish, Math

Third set:

HL: English, Math, Business and Managment, Geography,

SL: Polish, Chemistry

Biochemistry/Genetics/Law 

Edited by UnusualNickname

Maths, chemistry and geography. Maths is the essential subject for me. I do not want to take them, becasuse top universities require taking chemistry, maths biology for medicine, biotechnology etc. I am into science, but those social subjects are not that boring. In the future, I want to run my own company, that is why I am considering the third set and picking business thing. I know, there is no necessity to pick it up, because being resourceful can be enoguh to achive something in that specific area. 

If you're interested in biochemistry/genetics then the first combination is best as higher level chemistry/biology is required by universities. You're mistaken, higher level maths is NOT needed for medicine, biochemistry etc. It's only required for maths, physics, engineering and economics. So I highly recommend you take standard level maths instead to lesson your workload as biology/chemistry/English higher level is hard as is, taking maths as a fourth higher isn't a good idea. I think you should take geography instead of B&M as it's a respected subject where as B&M isn't and will lower the rigour of your course load. However, if you feel that B&M would be more useful for your future then take it.

Since there aren't any subject requirements for law, any subject combination will do. With that being said, higher level English or history are recommended - you fulfill that so leave your subject combination as is but take standard level maths (no need to do higher level if it isn't needed as it's such a hard subject).

• Like 1

If you're interested in biochemistry/genetics then the first combination is best as higher level chemistry/biology is required by universities. You're mistaken, higher level maths is NOT needed for medicine, biochemistry etc. It's only required for maths, physics, engineering and economics. So I highly recommend you take standard level maths instead to lesson your workload as biology/chemistry/English higher level is hard as is, taking maths as a fourth higher isn't a good idea. I think you should take geography instead of B&M as it's a respected subject where as B&M isn't and will lower the rigour of your course load. However, if you feel that B&M would be more useful for your future then take it.

Since there aren't any subject requirements for law, any subject combination will do. With that being said, higher level English or history are recommended - you fulfill that so leave your subject combination as is but take standard level maths (no need to do higher level if it isn't needed as it's such a hard subject).

Well, I don't know if he's fulfilling the requirements for Law. As a Polish student myself I'm suspecting that he's taking either English B HL or eventually English L&L HL and Polish Lit SL on top of that whereas you're probably talking about English Lit HL, aren't you? :)

@UP, After some research, I was told that in UK it's required to take HL Maths. I thought it would be nice to pick it, since I am good at maths. Addictionally, I forgot to mention that I will most likely drop English HL and will write the exam on SL, but I am still considering it.

This is incorrect! However if you're good at Maths and want to take it at HL anyway, don't let that stop you. Just if you're not amazing at Maths and don't want to do HL, then don't ruin your grades by taking it just because of misinformation.