Hello guys, I need your help.

ugnufas

Hello fellow IB students.

I'm actually pretty new to the IB program although I was not forced to choose it, I had to choose it without any thinking ahead, as I new so little about it.

Despite all that, here I am, in the 2nd year of IB, doing my CAS and etc... This message is more related to students who finished IB, or know a lot about universities and such.

As I wanted to say - I am going to IB school in Kolding, Denmark, but I'm not originally from Denmark, so the language outside the school and etc kinda bothers me. Yeah, I'm learning it slowly and all, but I'm really dreaming about leaving the country after IB.

I can definitely state that I love English as a language, so I want to go to study somewhere where English is the native tongue. (Scotland, London or etc)

The problem is, that the 2 fields of interest who has at least some kind of perspective for finding a job of mine are IT or Economics, Business, but I have English L&L HL, Economics HL and History HL. Is it still possible to get in a good university in London, Scotland or somewhere I probably wouldn't need a Visa with these subjects and get a good offer in a university? Because I read a lot that you can't get into Economics, proper Business program studies without Math HL and especially into IT studies. Would anyone clarify that for me?

My money spendings are kinda limited, I can't go travelling into Australia or even US if i'm not sure, but my parents are willing to financially help me if it's a good decision.

Any advice guys? I'm kinda stressed out about my future,because of the choices and everything..

X

Hi there, 

First let me check with you - do you have math at SL or studies?

Yes you are correct in stating that many economics programs in UK universities require HL math. However, some don't. For example, University of Manchester has a whole list of Economics and Economics Joint programs (eg econs and philosophy, PPE, etc), and these don't require you to have math at HL. To be honest though I would think SL would be a type of unofficial minimum. Studies might be a disadvantage to you. 

Best thing you can do is google "<course> <insert university>". You'll get their entry requirements very quickly. 

Just an advice. If you want to study at a good university in the UK then you may also take Law into consideration. The career perspectives for Law are quite good and there aren't any specific subjects required (apart form strong essay-based subjects being welcome so with a combination of English L&L, History and Economics at HL you should stand a good chance).

Edited by Sceptyczka
  • Like 1

X

Hi there, 

Yes you are correct in stating that many economics programs in UK universities require HL math. However, some don't. For example, University of Manchester has a whole list of Economics and Economics Joint programs (eg econs and philosophy, PPE, etc), and these don't require you to have math at HL. To be honest though I would think SL would be a type of unofficial minimum. Studies might be a disadvantage to you. 

Best thing you can do is google "<course> <insert university>". You'll get their entry requirements very quickly. 

Thank you for your answers guys. I have SL, not studies, I know if you choose studies you are kinda doomed to not get in a good university where math can be required. :) Thank you, i'll try that, although I don't know a lot of universities.. I'm not even that familiar with the studying in UK circumstances, the universities, what are the conditions for student loans and is it even worth taking..

Sceptyczka - Isn't law kinda overused? I know a lot of people who finished law and are standing around without a job and and guarantees.. 

X

Hi there, 

Thank you for your answers guys. I have SL, not studies, I know if you choose studies you are kinda doomed to not get in a good university where math can be required. :) Thank you, i'll try that, although I don't know a lot of universities.. I'm not even that familiar with the studying in UK circumstances, the universities, what are the conditions for student loans and is it even worth taking..

Sceptyczka - Isn't law kinda overused? I know a lot of people who finished law and are standing around without a job and and guarantees.. 

Well, I'm no expert at the situation of Law graduates but I guess it depends on the country. I would guess that Law graduates in the UK have better career perspectives than, say, in Poland where I live. 

Also, you can ask some questions here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/18276-advice-for-law-students/

There is a couple of Law students (even Law graduates!) at IBSurvival. :)

Edited by Sceptyczka

I'd say don't do Law, especially at the top uni, if you're not genuinely interested cause it's a really intense course that can drive you insanely bored. 

Get a few prospectuses (they're free to order), sit down with them and look through courses that might interest you, read on forums what people who are studying have to say about them, what are graduate destinations, read some intro books etc etc etc. I cannot stress enough that being INTERESTED in your course is incredibly important. It's far easier to succeed in something you like that something you don't. :)