Who is an 'international student'?

Guest Sonia

So I'm starting to get a bit confused.

There are universities that if you are an international student, you need to prove your English proficiency by doing TOEFLs or similar tests. 

But, if you are studying in an English/American International school, and you do English as your first language, are you still considered an 'international student'?

I have also done IGCSEs when studying in a British school.

Aren't you studying English as your first language, so technically aren't you proficient?

You don't have to do the TOEFL since you have been studying in an english school for more than 3 years. It is still recommended to do it since you can get a really high score and impress universities, but you don't have to.

In my school you only write it if you have less than 3 years of studying in an english school.

Anyone who is not a student from the country which the university resides in is considered an international student. So, a person from England studying in the United States would still be considered an international student despite that person having English as their mother tongue. Proficiency and command of the English language has nothing to do with being an international student or not.

TOEFLs and SATs are required for some universities but not for some other ones. I study in the Netherlands and I could waive TOEFLs by showing that I had studied the IB Diploma in English. It varies though, because in the US they require SATs for most universities.

• Like 1