[Economics] Negative externalities of consumption, traffic on a arterial road. Is it appropriate?

bbqroast

Hey,

So its that horrible time when you have to choose a topic for your EE. No sweat right, at most its only like, three points? I'm interested in economics, a bit clumsy in the and terrible at English. That leaves maths or economics. I'm not doing a maths essay.

I've got an interest in urban design so want to do something related to that, combine it with economics and externalities of car consumption immediately come to mind. Throw in some tragedy of the commons.

I understand we must collect some data ourselves, so this leaves me focusing on an increasingly congested road near the school.

My question is that is this to much of a limiting topic for my essay. Obviously there's no easy 3 point topic, but is it possible a topic will limit me to 2 or 1 point? I know I still need to refine my question a bit, and I'm hoping my supervisor will be able to give me some pointers but he's MIA.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so firstly, the 3 points come from both your EE and TOK - if you get A/A, A/B or B/A, you also get 3, B/B, B/C, C/B, A/D, D/A, you get 2, etc, etc.

I'm not doing economics, actually I'm not even starting IB until 3 months later but that's not important  so I can't help you with the specifics, but you have to remember to allow your topic to be broad enough to be able to write about 3600 - 3800 word essay on it, and to have to include economic theory in it.

From what I can see from the example questions in the guide, a lot of them have been showing the effect of one area/business on a related economical aspect. However, someone who has never studied economics I can't say whether or not it's possible to write an essay around it, but I feel this part of the Extended Essay guide is relevant to you:

Research questions that do not allow a systematic and meaningful investigation using relevant economic theory, and do not demonstrate critical analysis and detailed understanding, are unlikely to be suitable in economics. In some instances, it may become clear at an early stage in the research that too little information is available to permit such an investigation. In such cases, a change of focus should be made.

Pretty much, my point is, as long as it centred around an economical theory and then you can put it into context and analyse it/justify it, I'm pretty sure you should be good. If this post doesn't attract much attention, maybe trying messaging someone?

Hope it all works out for you!

(Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!)