Retakes and University application - Please help.

Chiary

Hi everybody,

I received my IB results on the 6th of July, and for some reason I underscored in Math and Bio :(

However, I am going to take a gap year in America and actually wanted to apply for medicine in the UK during this year.

The problem is, that I am now 2 points away from the required overall score for medicine at my chosen universities.

Therefore I wanted to do a retake in math, however, when I take them in November, I will not be able to apply for medicine in the UK since the deadline is the 15th of october.

Do you guys know, if there is any other way to apply for medicine this year? Because otherwise I will not be able to study after my gap year ...

Maybe with predicted grades or anything?

I am really unhappy about the situation right now and it would be so great if you have any suggestions, ideas etc...

Greetings,

Chiara

Hi everybody,

I received my IB results on the 6th of July, and for some reason I underscored in Math and Bio :(
However, I am going to take a gap year in America and actually wanted to apply for medicine in the UK during this year.
The problem is, that I am now 2 points away from the required overall score for medicine at my chosen universities.
Therefore I wanted to do a retake in math, however, when I take them in November, I will not be able to apply for medicine in the UK since the deadline is the 15th of october.
Do you guys know, if there is any other way to apply for medicine this year? Because otherwise I will not be able to study after my gap year ...
Maybe with predicted grades or anything?

I am really unhappy about the situation right now and it would be so great if you have any suggestions, ideas etc...

Greetings,
Chiara

Hi there, 

Yes there is a way you can apply for Medicine this year. 

You can apply to the med courses in the UK universities that you want, with your current grades, and clearly state in your personal statement that you will be retaking (insert subjects here) this year November. Or even next year May, actually. So that means you'll declare your 6 subject grades on UCAS, then you'll re-add the subjects you're retaking, and put them as "pending". 

Since you're only 2 points away, I don't think universities will terribly mind you retaking some subjects. In fact, applying with your actual score and then saying you're going to retake might actually give them more security than someone applying purely with predicted grades! 

Of course, you have to keep in mind that the most competitive UK unis for medicine tend to expect students to achieve their grades on the first try. 

Hope this has helped!

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for interupting with an completly different question but me too want/need to do retake and i really really want to do it this november but i dont know anyschools where you can do it (mine does just offer may) i have been writing a tons of schools but i havent found one yet... im looking for a school here in europe! where will you do your november retake?? please help!