Can someone explain this spread sheet to me?

EbiAl

Where are you getting 5.9% from? I suspect you've read 5.9% for everyone but this spreadsheet is looking solely at proportion of IB applicants so of all the IB applicants who applied, 11% got in, is that not the whole idea of the spreadsheet?

As for whether the figures are correct on the sheet, who knows. You found this spreadsheet so you'll have to look at the source and decide for yourself.

Certificate-wise...

1) the US is confused on the whole issue of the diploma

2) these 'certificate' people probably did some other course like the AP courses and stuff and just did a certificate on the side, so the fact they only had some certificates doesn't say anything about the rest of their courses at school

3) the numbers are smaller for certificates so the % acceptance is a bit random

The numbers might be old data, or include total admissions instead of solely undergraduate, first-time student admissions. Without the spreadsheet saying which is the case, it's hard to tell.

The "all IB applied" category means that out of all the applicants applying, that number of students reported having a diploma or IB certificates of some sort. This is broken down into "IB diploma" and "IB certificates." The "All X applied" means that many number of students applying with X reported having one. "X accepted" means out of however many students applying, a certain number of them were accepted to attend. Using Harvard, 290 reported IB diploma students applied, and 35 were accepted, giving the IB diploma rate you see right next to the admitted students column.

As for why it's more likely to get in with certificates than diploma, you're forgetting a few things. One, if two people were applying to Harvard and Person 1 did three certificates and got 6's and 7's on those subjects, and backed it up with strong AP courses/other curriculum whereas Person 2 did the full diploma but got mostly 3's and 4's, Person 1 is more likely to get in than Person 2. In addition, most universities will look beyond grades at things like extracurricular experience, SAT scores, letters of recommendation, and essays. Perhaps in some cases the person doing certificates was more qualified than a person doing a diploma. This chart doesn't really tell you much about the applicants, so it's hard to say.

• Like 1

Guest Marioti

Where did you get it from?

Anyways my friend was looking at this sheet and my coordinator looked at it also and well didn't say anything about the numbers being off

Of course he didn't check every single statistic in that sheet but I would say its believable. And if the numbers are wrong, the real statistics must not be far from it