Failed in math, are chances largely affected?

stannardian

I'm in DP year one taking Math HL. After the school end of term exams, I completely f*cked up my math and I'm probably getting a Level 3. I got a level 5 in the first term. I'm interested in studying Chemistry in the future. My score is about 32-33, does this largely affect my chances of getting into decent universities? eg. UC Davis, Penn State, U dub? My SAT is 1800 ish.

Well if you want to apply with your IB score it is important that you improve your grade, because almost all of the universities require a 6 or at least a 5 in maths for the scientific courses. That is also important, because unis don't just look at your Overall IB score ( which is also affected by your maths grade ), but especially at the scores you got in your higher Level subjects.

But you don't have to worry. You have another year of IB to improve your grade and if you really put enough effort in it shouldn't be a Problem to get a good grade as log as you do good on the final exams and work continuously throughout the second year of the course. :)

Guest Canhsjii

Well, I think that you should try hard now don't give up. I had the same experience with English SL Lit and Lang. I used to think that I can't write even a complete essay but when I tried hard, I eventually gripped a reward. Probably, it's gonna stress you out a little bit at the beginning but don't worry you're gonna get better as soon as you do your best. I don't intend to offend the guy above but sure enough I heard the same thing as in the post "you have another year to try" or whatever. My advise is you should worry now because that will motivate you to work harder. As soon as you realize your problem, start to work on it. Aim for a 7 mate !!!!