5 in SL Math, ruined chances?

z91

Will getting a 5 in SL Math hurt my chances of getting into Canadian business schools such as Richard Ivey and Queens Commerce? In all of my remaining courses it looks like I will pull a 6/7. I'm really scared, and all help is greately appreciated! (Math is by FAR my worst subject)

Are you from Ontario?

If so, know that the universities won't look at your IB scores that much. The deadline for sending in your uni apps through OUAC is January. At that time, they only have your grade 11 and grade 12 first semester marks. In March, your predicted IB grades will be sent in.

So basically I was accepted based on my high school marks rather than my actual IB grades (although you usually get a conditional offer that says you must maintain 36 pts/___% and they can retract their offer if your IB grades are poor). If you manage to get 6 and 7 in all of your other subjects..then you can still get a high overall IB score, and that's what they're looking for.

PS. My boyfriend got into York Schulich for their BBA program. He had a predicted score of 38, but his Ontario average was 92%. So as long as your top 6 average is high, you could still be accepted.

Edited by __inthemaking

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='z91' post='21648' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:00 AM']Will getting a 5 in SL Math hurt my chances of getting into Canadian business schools such as Richard Ivey and Queens Commerce? In all of my remaining courses it looks like I will pull a 6/7. I'm really scared, and all help is greately appreciated! (Math is by FAR my worst subject)[/quote]

mmm math is a major prequisite for commerce... the very reputable business schools require you to have at least a 5 in HL Maths... so i figure, SL Math, you'll prolly need to get at least a 6 or 7.

z91, I'm sorry to say this but if math is by far your worst subject you should probably rethink your uni course choices. Math is built on logic as is business, unless you were planning on working in the area of innovation or marketing that requires more creativity than reason I'd seriously reconsider your options.