Taking A1 language that isn't mother tongue/English?

ellie

Hey all you great people!

The thing here is: I've spent a school year in Norway, in a host family and going to a Norwegian high school, I speak Norwegian on a daily basis and don't need English at all anymore. I can watch TV, listen to the radio, read textbooks (e.g. Biology) and novels with little difficulty if the language isn't very complicated. I took a language test and I score between B2 and C1+ overall (in the I have hardly ever learned grammar, though.

Now, when I start IB in autumn, the only option school offers me for Group 2 is Russian B. I've studied before but after a year away I can't even manage to buy groceries in Russian, and since it's been 2 years since I had a good teacher, I doubt it will come back to me. So I would essentially have to begin from scratch and be behind everyone else. All while my precious Norwegian is put in a corner.

Do you think it's possible to get a good grade with learning an A1 language with my skills? I'm great with books and I'd be taking A1 English too, but is that enough if I only have 10 months of experience? Or should I just suck it up and go with Russian B? Additionally, is it an IBO rule that you cannot self-study a language B or my school's? If the latter, then I could maybe talk them into making an exception for me.

Thank you so much for any help and kudos for reading through all this! Any help much appreciated.

From personal experience...
I'd suggest you choose the language you're most fluent in. I know A: Lit courses are all about analysis and their outlook seems to be pretty analytical at first glance; however, you must bear in mind that in the end you'll be graded among native speakers who've been writing in Norwegian for a lifetime, compared to which your 10-month experience is, if not valueless, very scarce.
Not having any first-hand experience with Norwegian myself, I don't really know whether Norwegian is an objectively simple language but even the objectively simplest language has its difficulties - if there is a thing such as an "objectively simple" language -, so unless you feel very very confident in your skills and you're really motivated, don't choose it.

You've said you can easily read if the language isn't very complicated: the question is, would you be able to read a poem in Norwegian and catch all the subtleties of the text, appreciate the finery of its vocabulary, analyse its content and structure without getting tangled in words or finding it difficult to express yourself?

You should also remember that A language courses are not meant to include language acquisition, in contrast with B courses.
THAT BEING SAID... If you choose Russian B SL you'll have plenty of time to catch up with your classmates and improve your skills before the finals, an opportunity which you won't be given if you choose Norwegian A!

It took me 6 months of English A to realize that Italian A would've been much easier and gratifying for me.

Good luck to you! x

• Like 1

It might be worth seeing if you can 'self-teach' Norwegian B. Should be a walk in the park for you if your language level is where you say it is, meaning you can concentrate on your other subjects.

If not, I would go for Russian B - or ask about Russian ab initio? If you took it for only a very short period of time you might still be able to persuade your school to let you do this.

As for taking Norwegian A1 I would definitely hesitate about it. If you're not at the top level of fluency and still have to look up difficult language, obviously nothing is ever guaranteed but I think you'd find it very hard to get a 7. It is meant for fluent people who have no issues with the language itself. B2-C1 isn't a bad level but this aspect of C2:

• Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations.

...is VERY important in A1 language! Along with understanding virtually everything with ease.

• Like 1

• Can express him/herself spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations.

I'm definitely not at this point yet. Maybe if I'd chew through War and Peace's Norwegian translation before school... I have gathered that Language B overall grade depends on a group oral presentation, so I cannot take that as self-study, but I'll definitely look into it.

I'll ask around some more and see what my options are. I'm definitely not as confident in Norwegian as I am in my mother tongue or English and there's no need to pretend that I am if it's going to take points off my diploma. Thank you so much, both of you, you've been very helpful!

I would advise against taking Norwegian A: Literature, as there are people in my class, who have spoken and written in Norwegian their entire lives, who have been struggling to get the 5 or 6 they want.

If you want to learn more Norwegian, you should choose self-taught Norwegian B, as it is more fit for those who are still learning the language. One person in my class has lived in Norway for several years, but finally decided to take Norwegian B because she didn't feel fluent enough in Norwegian.

Good luck on your decision! :D

Edited by Charliepants
  • Like 1