University acceptance chances?

nerdintraining

Hi, I’m a student in Canada and I’m really confused about transcripts, ib marks and GPAs. I hope someone would be kind enough to read all this and help answer some of my questions. Thanks so much!

So first of all, I was in pre ib last year and this year in sept I’ll be entering the ib program. Last year i took math 11 and got a 68% (I took math 10 during the summer and got a 98%). I checked my “unofficial” transcript and the gr 11 math mark (68%) is under my grade 11 year (? Im not sure..it’s the “unofficial transcript” online and I don’t really know how transcripts work >>)
I talked with my counselor about my math mark and we arranged it so that next year I’ll be taking IB Math 11 SL. So my first question is : Will taking Math 11 SL cover the math mark I got last year?

From what I know, transcripts basically show universities all the courses that one has taken in highschool…so I’m guessing that the Math SL mark will NOT be covering the math mark I got last year..which means that the universities will be seeing 2 math marks. Will seeing 2 math marks be a turn off for universities? And will that C+ I got for math last year do a lot of damage to whether or not I get accepted into a good university? (the math mark is listed under gr 11..and gr 11 year = VERY IMPORTANT)

Regarding ib marks and GPAs..I looked at some Canadian university acceptance requirements and it seems that they accept students based on their predicted IB marks? Does that mean as long as I get a good enough IB score ( ie. the scores they want) getting accepted into a good Canadian university is possible? Universities such as UT..McGill..UBC.. (I’m still extremely worried about that C+..I don’t know how much it’d affect my chances…)

I also really want to try applying to US schools. I know US schools are extremely hard to get into and they want EXTREMELY high grades, but it doesn’t hurt to TRY lol.

My GPA (A=4, B=3, C+=2.5, etc) for grades 9 and 10 are 3.5 and 3.75. …..this is strictly ACADEMICALLY…and assuming I get the following marks:

IF I can get 38+ in IB… and IF I can get around 2200 in SAT..and IF I get can my gr 11 GPA to around a 3.7 (the C+ math grade included)

Do you think I can still consider applying to US schools? If my marks are high, will the universities not consider me just because of a bad grade? Should I or should I not still consider US universities?

I understand that getting into a university depends on a lot of factors such as extracurricular activities, teacher recommendations, etc… but what I’m asking is basically academically-wise, how much damage will that C+ in math do on my chances of getting into a good university.

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this ^^

[quote name='nerdintraining' post='21354' date='Aug 1 2008, 07:36 PM']Hi, I’m a student in Canada and I’m really confused about transcripts, ib marks and GPAs. I hope someone would be kind enough to read all this and help answer some of my questions. Thanks so much!

So first of all, I was in pre ib last year and this year in sept I’ll be entering the ib program. Last year i took math 11 and got a 68% (I took math 10 during the summer and got a 98%). I checked my “unofficial” transcript and the gr 11 math mark (68%) is under my grade 11 year (? Im not sure..it’s the “unofficial transcript” online and I don’t really know how transcripts work >>)
I talked with my counselor about my math mark and we arranged it so that next year I’ll be taking IB Math 11 SL. So my first question is : Will taking Math 11 SL cover the math mark I got last year?

From what I know, transcripts basically show universities all the courses that one has taken in highschool…so I’m guessing that the Math SL mark will NOT be covering the math mark I got last year..which means that the universities will be seeing 2 math marks. Will seeing 2 math marks be a turn off for universities? And will that C+ I got for math last year do a lot of damage to whether or not I get accepted into a good university? (the math mark is listed under gr 11..and gr 11 year = VERY IMPORTANT)

Regarding ib marks and GPAs..I looked at some Canadian university acceptance requirements and it seems that they accept students based on their predicted IB marks? Does that mean as long as I get a good enough IB score ( ie. the scores they want) getting accepted into a good Canadian university is possible? Universities such as UT..McGill..UBC.. (I’m still extremely worried about that C+..I don’t know how much it’d affect my chances…)

I also really want to try applying to US schools. I know US schools are extremely hard to get into and they want EXTREMELY high grades, but it doesn’t hurt to TRY lol.

My GPA (A=4, B=3, C+=2.5, etc) for grades 9 and 10 are 3.5 and 3.75. …..this is strictly ACADEMICALLY…and assuming I get the following marks:

IF I can get 38+ in IB… and IF I can get around 2200 in SAT..and IF I get can my gr 11 GPA to around a 3.7 (the C+ math grade included)

Do you think I can still consider applying to US schools? If my marks are high, will the universities not consider me just because of a bad grade? Should I or should I not still consider US universities?

I understand that getting into a university depends on a lot of factors such as extracurricular activities, teacher recommendations, etc… but what I’m asking is basically academically-wise, how much damage will that C+ in math do on my chances of getting into a good university.

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this ^^[/quote]

ok. if you got the grades in high school the uni wil see it on yur offical transcript. i always had C's in math and i stuill got into uni. you are taking the hardest possible math class that you can, and getting an average grade, so you are fine, but if you can pull it up that is amazing!

you send your trascript to the uni when you aply, and if you are accepted or it is conditional after you graduate. it just shows them the grades that you got, and the classes you took. along with your class rank, and GPA.

if youwant to go to a US uni you should still apply. they have such varying reasons for accepting people that there are many surpises. i had a friend who got ito standford, and he is ther now, and pople thoght he was lieing and telling a joke. they din't believe him at all.

i have typed out what US unis look for in another post so i am going to look it up sfor you so i don't have to type it all out again. <_<

EDIT:

[url="http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2827"]http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2827[/url]. ok at the bottom of that page with my first post. i talk about what a US uni looks like and how i wrote up me resume for uni.

[url="http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=500"]http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=500[/url] this one is about going form IB to US unis

i am not sure if this one will help you any, but there might be some good pointers in ter for you. [url="http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2780"]http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2780[/url] it is on should this person concentrate on going to a US uni or taking IB. i think ther are somethings in there you need to know prolly coming from out of the country.

[url="http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1436"]http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1436[/url] this one is on high school transcript help

and i have just one more for you. i don't rember all of what is in here. i think it was more for people that din't have a GPA, but i think ther might be some more good advice for you. [url="http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1508"]http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1508[/url]

any more questions on US schools, feel free to ask. :punish: good luck.

Edited by IBStuck

Okay for Canadian universities, they'll be looking at your top 6 grade 12 courses (including prereqs) and your IB predicted scores.

For example, I'm from Ontario and when I applied to uni (McMaster, Queen's, Western, U of T), they had all of my grade 11 and 12 marks. But the only marks that they used to calculate towards my admission average were my top 6.

I applied to life sci, so my prereqs were calculus, algebra & vectors, english, bio, and chem. That means those courses MUST be included in my top 6 courses. For my last course, I ended up using economics since I got a 99 in it.

I did way better in grade 11 maths SL than grade 10..and they took my maths SL mark to be my calc and algebra/vectors marks (because maths SL includes both calc and algebra/vectors). So what ended up happening was that I got a 7 in maths SL and my mark got translated to a 99 for both calc and algebra/vectors.

Basically what I'm saying is that your grade 10 maths mark won't matter at all as long as you do well in maths SL, at least for Canadian unis.

But you will be accepted based on MOSTLY your high school marks rather than IB predicteds. I got early acceptances to Queen's and Western in February and the IB predicted scores were sent to the unis in March.

US unis look at more than just your grades. What is your rank scale? 4 or 5? (I take it it's on a 4 scale)

If it is, you have good grades and a 2200 in the SATs is excellent. It helps if you have something that makes you stand out other than grades. Like leadership skills and humanitarian stuff...

What unis were you looking into?