Credit Points!

dennisalex833

Hello,

Recently when i was looking up for universities, i noticed that some universities offer I.b students 1st year credit!! What are the advantages of that?? Does that mean one can skip 1st year and directly join 2nd year??? for simplicity,the duration of enginering degree is 4 years.so if one get this credit can he finish it in 3 years??how muchpoints are required for that?? which are the major universities that offer credits for engineering???

well at US unis they do offer college credit for IB credit, but it varies from school to school. a top school will only take 6s and 7s while state school will accept those and give you credit fro 5s and on ocasion a 4 as well. but it is different from university to university. AP is still more populare here than IB. you can skip your freshamn year of uni if you have enough credits. i had enough credits that the second semester of my first year at uni i will be a sophomore, but i have known people to skip thier freshamn year. it isn't rare for a student to do with IB credit alone, but it is still a little uncommmon.

they credit that they are giving you is usually just getting you out of your gen eds. so you might not have to take college algebra or pre-calc, but it won'yt get you out of all your math classes (especially if you going into engineering), but you might never have to take English or history ever again.

for me i don't have to take history or math classes ever again. i think i get out off Engligh/ Writing too. but it doesn't get me out of all of my gen eds.

Some US unis also give you up to 2 years off. Some IB graduates enter unis as juniors (that's my plan)

]i've never heared of that. where is that? i had dual credit, and IB (my school only offered 2 APs and i didn't have time in my schedual with all the IB) and still couldn't get in as a sophmore. i have never heared fot hem doing it as years, but as doing it by credit hours.

About 2 years ago someone did that in my school. True, she did AP too. But only with IB she got over 1 year off.

In Texas there's a law that if you get the diploma you get 24 credit hours, which is already more than 1 semester. Better grades increase your chances of getting more credit, so she got 2 years off. It's not the common thing to happen, but it does.

Yeah you can get equivalent first year credits.

But for most unis (at least in Canada), you can only get these credits for HL courses if you achieve level 5 or higher. And most IB candidates only have 3 or 4 HL courses so you can't skip a whole first year.

I can get credits for first year english, chem and economics but I'm only choosing to take the english and econ credits because I'm going into the medical field where chem is very important..I don't want to risk falling behind if I go directly to a second year chem course.

I've heard you could get first year credit points if you've achieved a 6 or 7 on your HL courses...

which is what also happens if you've gotten a high schore in AP...

Of course that would be helpful since you would be reducing time and energy in college

Oh.Okay.

I plan to do mining engg,maybe from ubc(vancouver )...i have taken phy, chem and maths at the Higher level...so will i be eligible for 1st year credit??? i mean can i join the 2nd year of uni????

The uni will only accept your physics, chem and maths credits IF you have level 5 or higher (or some unis will require level 6 or higher) in those courses. And even if you get credits for all 3, you can't just skip directly to second year uni because you don't just have 3 courses in first year uni..you usually have 10 courses. So technically you can skip to second year chem, phys, and maths but for 7 other courses, you'll be taking first year.

I don't recommend skipping first year for all of those..some of my friends did that and they ended up falling behind taking second year courses, and for engineering, those 3 subjects are like the core..they're so important that it's actually advisable to redo first year just as a review before moving on to completely new stuff in second year.

The uni will only accept your physics, chem and maths credits IF you have level 5 or higher (or some unis will require level 6 or higher) in those courses. And even if you get credits for all 3, you can't just skip directly to second year uni because you don't just have 3 courses in first year uni..you usually have 10 courses. So technically you can skip to second year chem, phys, and maths but for 7 other courses, you'll be taking first year.

I don't recommend skipping first year for all of those..some of my friends did that and they ended up falling behind taking second year courses, and for engineering, those 3 subjects are like the core..they're so important that it's actually advisable to redo first year just as a review before moving on to completely new stuff in second year.

I have heard of many people who skip the 1st year of uni and join yr 2.(yr 1 isjust basic stuff), besides in uk engg is only a 3 yr course.so what must i do to get that eligibility???

for some engineering scholls in the US they will even make you re-take those courses even if you score really well, just because they are those core classes for that major.