Economics HL - Papers [1] [2] [3] - Discussion!

LeonieIB

There's one question in paper 2 about using a PPC to illustrate how improved bed nets lead to economic growth. Should it be a potential growth (PPC shifts outwards) or actual growth (point inside PPC shifts towards PPC)?

I had written since the quality of goods had increased, the PPC would move outwards.

But to think of it, maybe it would have been more appropriate to say that a point moves, as the PPC moves only if there is an improvement in the factors of production, as opposed to the good produced. So hm, I was sure until now. Haha :S

I answered that a point inside the PPC would move outwards, but I am not sure as well! I think it could be argued that improved bed nets lead to higher quantities of labor (lower mortality), and as labor is a FOP, PPC moves outward. :( I hope that both are accepted answers.

There's one question in paper 2 about using a PPC to illustrate how improved bed nets lead to economic growth. Should it be a potential growth (PPC shifts outwards) or actual growth (point inside PPC shifts towards PPC)?

Which question # was that?

Sorry, I don't remember :|! It was from a TZ2 paper though

I had written since the quality of goods had increased, the PPC would move outwards.

But to think of it, maybe it would have been more appropriate to say that a point moves, as the PPC moves only if there is an improvement in the factors of production, as opposed to the good produced. So hm, I was sure until now. Haha :S

I answered that a point inside the PPC would move outwards, but I am not sure as well! I think it could be argued that improved bed nets lead to higher quantities of labor (lower mortality), and as labor is a FOP, PPC moves outward. :( I hope that both are accepted answers.

Oh yess I did say that the labor force would be healthier and all because malaria used to be a main thing to increase mortality rates there!! Yes yes, that works perfectly! Thank you for reminding me:P And that's why quality of labor forced increased, will push out PPC! :D

guys i calculated GDP in the first question (first section) wrong and some of the sections that follow it kind off depend on this answer so did i just fail paper 3 or do they count it as a carry on mistake?

I'd like to know this also - whether or not they count 'carry-on mistakes' in certain questions.

But just out of interest, what did you include in your GDP calculation that you think made it wrong?

guys i calculated GDP in the first question (first section) wrong and some of the sections that follow it kind off depend on this answer so did i just fail paper 3 or do they count it as a carry on mistake?

I'd like to know this also - whether or not they count 'carry-on mistakes' in certain questions.

But just out of interest, what did you include in your GDP calculation that you think made it wrong?

i forgot what the question stated exactly but i think i added the taxes or something like that, did you answer this question?

i forgot what the question stated exactly but i think i added the taxes or something like that, did you answer this question?

Yes, I did. I have discussed this with somebody earlier in the thread. I was worried I got it wrong because I only included the main components [ C + I + G + (X-M) ] that were clearly stated and not Taxes/Wages/etc. but apparently that is all that was needed.