Microeconomics IA Article Help?

This is the first time I'm doing an Econ paper and I'm a little stumped on how to find a good article.

From what I understand, we are to find an article that relates to topics we covered in microeconomics and evaluate advantages/disadvantages in regards to the proposed/established policies of the issue.

Since most of the students in my classes are using the articles from the IB Economist Blogsite already, I found some articles on my own but I am unsure whether it would allow me to write a solid analysis on the topic.

These are some articles I came up with:

Canada may tax cash prizes awarded to Canadian Olympic medalists

This seems interesting but I'm not sure if this article is an appropriate article for my IA.

Pollution Fears Crush Home Prices Near Fracking Wells

The supermarket price wars are not a long term solution to food affordability

It would be great if someone could offer me some advice regarding the articles I found or just tips on how to find better articles. I've gone through a bunch of forums and websites but I feel like I still don't fully understand the intention of this assignment :/

Thanks so much!

I find, personally, that the easiest types of articles to analyze for the econ portfolio are the ones dealing with market failure. I would definitely go with the article on fracking wells, because it allows you not only to list advantages/disadvantages but also to suggest possible solutions/ways to internalize the externality.

I haven't finished my portfolio yet but I have finished the micro IA and I did it on pollution (this article).

You could also look at a specific commodity and the factors causing price change... (like the supermarket article you picked) The Wall Street Journal is also great for this because their website has a seperate subheading for commodities.

• Like 1