TIPS FOR IB PHILOSOPHY

emlink

Go on sevenoaks philosophy website and download everything. The have great booklets and pdfs about both topics and advice on how you should structure your essay.

I didn't formally study Mill for IB (I studied Arendt and Taylor because I'm crazy) but I've done quite a lot of readings on his work.

What I've seen is over the past few years they've been repeating the same concepts. Especially in Paper 1, it seems like even when you know the main arguments of the most prominent philosophers you can develop your own ideas around it and get a nice mark. It's all about having a clear response with a good amount of reflection. This isn't for you but for the people studying for next year perhaps: listen to podcasts people. They help a lot. I'd advise philosophy bites.

For the prescribed text: I assume you've read the book and relevant material online. You're lucky you've got a book with so much written about it. I doubt you'll have trouble finding material. Just list all the main points and terms the author uses and just compare and contrast them in your head. Imagine it like ping pong. There is a point -- and there is a counter-point. Which is strongest. Just make sure you know the author's philosophical approach by heart. What does the author value, which points does he stress the most, which chapter was the longest?

On Paper 3 -- I'm lost as much as the next guy. Good luck to us all.