Math Studies/Math SL and related science Q

ani-isilee

Hi, I'm a tenth grader (MYP) and am pursuing the full IBDP next year, and am having some difficulties with course selections.

So, math and science are definitely not my strongest subjects. I'm in a combined Algebra II/Trig class right now, but not doing too great (B's, and maybe a C or even D this quarter depending on the next day or two...)

I had originally decided to take Math Studies and SL Environmental Systems and Societies, thinking that they were still challenging but supposedly (according to the course catalog) less calculus-oriented and math-intensive, respectively. Today, my guidance counselor informed me that I couldn't expect to get into my dream school (Oberlin, a fairly prestigious liberal arts college) taking these classes. Is this true? Aren't these classes relatively challenging just being IB, or do I have this all wrong?

I want to major in something history or English related. Definitely nothing with much math. (I'm doing HL English, HL History of the Americas, and HL Art III. Possibly HL ITGS? No idea how much math is involved there honestly. )

Would I be better off getting (yes, IB equivalents of...) A's/B's in Math Studies and Environmental Systems, or possible something along the lines of C's in Math SL and Physics or Chemistry SL? Or would I be better off just changing either math OR science to be more challenging, and still have a chance of looking like I've taken the most rigorous courses possible for me?

Hey! In short, I'd say that doing Maths Studies/ESS and getting higher marks would be better than doing Maths SL and Physics/Chem SL and getting lower marks. Since you won't be needing maths/science for your future uni degree, then to maximise your chances of getting into uni higher marks in IB would be more useful. To be honest, I don't think that doing Maths Studies/ESS would detriment your application that much - they're not that relevant to your proposed degree, and whilst 'soft subjects' might appear less rigorous I was under the impression that this wasn't so much as a concern in the US system as in the UK system. Perhaps ask for a second opinion (other than your guidance counsellor) on how Oberlin views Maths Studies/ESS - the best way would probably be to contact them directly to ask whether they view certain subjects in IB more highly than others.

Ultimately, I think that if you are really concerned then perhaps start with Maths SL and drop if you feel as though you can't get a decent mark. Also, in terms of sciences, if you aren't really a 'science' person and hence don't want to do Physics/Chem, then I would suggest Bio. It doesn't have quite as 'soft' a reputation as ESS - but as I said above, I don't think that ESS would be that much of a detriment on an application.

Good luck with your decision.