Obscenity- is this a good idea?

pwoperfish

I'm doing my ToK presentation with a partner and our mock presentations start next week. We still haven't come up with anything. At first we knew we wanted to work on media- but we had so many ideas and came up with a new topic every week. Only a few days ago, I looked for samples on the internet and noticed that the standards of those examples were so much higher than ours. Ours weren't even proper 'KI's. They were just topics.

Anyway, today I was thinking about what my ToK supervisor had told me about the presentation. 'Think of something different, something shocking.' So that led to me thinking about punk music (don't ask why) which in turn resulted in this. Obscenity in art. Most people think it's repulsive, but I believe otherwise (in some cases). I want to explore how obscenity helps put an artist's point across more clearly. I'm thinking vulgar lyrics in music, nudity in art and film, things like that. I've also thought about further KIs like 'What motifs are considered obscene and why?' and the role of religion in the way things are perceived to be abhorrent. Maybe I could also talk a bit about taboos, censorship, etc.

So, two questions. Firstly, is this even a good topic? Is it possible to make a KI out of this? Or is it a stupid idea?

Secondly, if this is good enough to work on, is it too sensitive to put up in front of your classmates and teachers?

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks :)

Regarding whether obscenity is appropriate, you should ask your teacher. Does your school have a policy about obscene stuff? Are you allowed to bring up such stuff in school? Can permission be granted if you're doing it for school work?

And I think it is possible to do this as a topic, but you really should get clearance from your teacher first.