Math HL/physics SL doable?

Bysee

Hi :) so I'm choosing my subjects for next year and I really can't make decision.

I'm aiming to major in Computer science, so I took Math HL and Physcis SL, but teachers keep saying that Math HL is extremely demanding.. So I want to know if it's actually doable if I study really hard. (Currently my average is 6 in my Hl/sl group) Also, I find physics VERY difficult even though I'm only in pre-IB class. Is physics sl really really difficult(like you can never get 7) and is it doable even for people not talented in physics?

Thank you :))

Anything is doable if you study hard enough and work at it. Yes, HL math is very demanding, but the math you take in a computer science program will go to levels higher than what HL math covers (linear algebra, discrete math, set theory, number theory, etc), so you have to suck it up and take it. The key to doing well is not only understanding the concepts but to do tons of practice problems all the time. This keeps you sharp with your skills and prepares you for how the IB likes to word questions on exams.

Physics can be tricky. But considering like 15% of people taking physics every year get a 7 at SL, then it can't be that difficult. It's harder than biology or chemistry. If you're not as strong in physics, you'll have to work harder than some of your classmates, but that shouldn't stop you. Again, practice makes perfect.

• Like 1

Hey! I did Maths HL and Physics SL, which despite the really hard work it entailed, was a subject combination that I thought was really good. Maths HL is demanding - but as long as you are willing to work hard and practice, it is by no means as intellectually challenging as it may have a reputation for being. And whilst I know nothing about computer science, Emmi is probably right in saying that the maths you will do in uni will be tougher. In terms of physics, whilst it may seem difficult, I found that by doing lots of practice of past paper questions - and essentially memorising mark schemes for basic types of questions - and knowing the syllabus in immense detail, I made massive improvements from IB1 to IB2. Whilst I'm not sure about how you would go in physics, I think that it doesn't necessarily require passion - just a lot of hard work. And, if you look at statistics, generally more people get a 7 in physics (at both HL and SL) than any other science - though that might be a reflection of the people who do physics rather than the difficulty of physics!

So, in short, I think that Maths HL/Physics SL is a doable combination for most people - it just requires a large amount of work if you don't feel too confident. :)

• Like 1