A question regarding written tasks about sensitive political issues

Hi guys,

I understand that when writing a written task for Part 2, we are supposed to explore how language is used in the mass media to sway public opinions. Most of us will take a stance in regards to an issue circulating in the media. However, will the moderator be offended by the position we take and what we say in our written tasks?

For example, I argue that the Russian media is one-sided in its portrayal of its recent invasion of Ukraine. I talk about how the Russian media claims that Russia is just defending the freedom of Russian people living in Ukraine and its naval base there, while in reality, they are just using this as an excuse to invade Ukraine and this action is actually illegal.

Of course, this argument makes sense logically, but let's say that this written task happens to be sent to a Russian moderator. I know that we are expected to adopt a voice that does not necessary reflect our own opinions in real life, but nobody likes it when a foreigner talks about their homeland negatively, right? (I'm American so I don't really have a stake on this issue) If this written task really gets sent off to Russia, will it offend the moderator? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and I don't want to lose any marks.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by slytherin22

Examiners/moderators (Russian ones included) must be impartial.

If you suspect that your paper has not received fair treatment, then you can ask your teacher to request the marked exams/assignments back and bring it up with the IBO exam committee if you have good grounds for any suspicions. Schools can ask for the feedback and marking on any papers, as far as I understand.

I wouldn't be too concerned though. The main thing that concerns examiners/moderators is that you have a valid point and can support it well using any evidence from the works/texts studied. :)

Edited by Blackcurrant