Written Task 2 on "The Things they carried"

Hello to everyone,

I have been assigned to write a Written Task 2, and the text that will be used is "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien.

The question that I will be answering is: "How and why is a social group represented in a particular way?" The social group that I want to discuss is "the soldiers".

My questions are:

Should i concentrate on one specific chapter and discuss how the soldiers are presented?

Also can anyone please give me suggestions on what things i could possibly discuss in this Written task and why are the soldiers presented in a particular way.

Thanks for helping

Choosing one chapter is too restrictive -- unless that chapter is truly representative in some way.

The best approach I think will be to identify aspects of representation which occur throughout the book. Normally, there is development in a novel which cannot be appreciated in one chapter. ,This development will apply to representations of the soldiers too. As we read on, our understanding and views of the soldiers will change accordingly. You'll need to be aware of this if you are to gain full points for "understanding and knowledge" in the criteria.

What can you say about the repr. of soldiers? This is an important part of your learning in the subject, we cannot do that for you. But there are ways of looking at language and structure (motif, symbolism, imagery, grammar etc) which will suggest ideas of the soldiers. No doubt your English course and teacher will have taught these.

Maybe this helps a bit.

• 7 months later...