biology extended essay

Guest jennalee91

Guest jennalee91

hi everyone!
i am doing my extended essay in biology and i had my topic and everything and started the expirement but my fish died before i even did anything so i can no longer use that so my supervisor suggested i think of a new topic but this is where i am stumped!!! i want to do something with humans but i could also do plant growth or seed germenation. but i need something that only take a max of 3 week to do!!!! cause i need time to write the paper before the first day of school (aug 18)
please anything will help!!! and preferably something i cant kill! :P

Guest pimpinilla

[quote name='jennalee91' post='19924' date='Jul 18 2008, 02:48 AM']hi everyone!
i am doing my extended essay in biology and i had my topic and everything and started the expirement but my fish died before i even did anything so i can no longer use that so my supervisor suggested i think of a new topic but this is where i am stumped!!! i want to do something with humans but i could also do plant growth or seed germenation. but i need something that only take a max of 3 week to do!!!! cause i need time to write the paper before the first day of school (aug 18)
please anything will help!!! and preferably something i cant kill! :) [/quote]

i´m not sure if i can help you or not but at least i´m gonna tell you on what i´m doing it so you can have an idea.
i did an experiment on pain tolerance and pain threshold.
basically, i used my classmates to see how much they could resist with their arms in water at 0º C. i measured their pulse, their blood pressure and temperature before and after the experiment. i think it´s a pretty interesting one, cos for example people from norway or finland stayed inside the water for like 30 mint while people from the south like croatia stay for only 5 mint.
did that help?

i just completed my EE in biology!! yay! im so glad i finished it!! >.<

why dont you try microbiology????

a few ideas:
1. investigate the effects of antibacterial cleaning agents on removing bacteria on a specific surface
2. something on enzymes and creating youghurt
3. investigate the effects on heart rate??
investigate a factor of seed germination (use something like peas or radishes as they germinate v.fast)

try something in ecology, something about your local surrounding enviroment, as it will be original and IB will like it.
e.g. look at the types of bacteria found in local lakes and their effects etc.

Perhaps you could ask your supervisor if they have any contacts with any uni students who are runnning an experiment,
help them out with it and they could give you all the info you need!! (some of my friends did this!! didnt turn out to be that bad!!)

well here are just a few ideas!!
hope you figure it out!!

Edited by angeliqwings

You can also do sth on respiration and factors influencing it. use your classmates to see how it varies dependently on sex, hight, being a sportsman or being a smoker after physical activities and in different positions, ex sitting lying standing on your head >.< >.< this may be too simple buts its a suggestion from person doing ee in physics so it dont have to be professional.
i know that my classmates done sth on nodule bacteria, mould and such things