Which extracts will the teacher pick?

Guest Viska

When you know that you either will be picking Romeo and Juliet, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe and Great Gatsby. However I know that there will be three extracts from each book. Can you people guess where the teacher will be picking from each book? I am very worried about Romeo and Juliet since the language is sooooooo complex.

I will appreciate your help.

Technically, you're not supposed to know which extracts you'll get but usually your teacher would inform you, unless they're sticking to the rules. In my school, the teachers tell us which extracts will be coming up and we practice on them only. Maybe your teacher will tell you later? I know a friend who studied the text in class before the teacher told them which extracts were coming up in the exam.

Technically, you're not supposed to know which extracts you'll get but usually your teacher would inform you, unless they're sticking to the rules. In my school, the teachers tell us which extracts will be coming up and we practice on them only. Maybe your teacher will tell you later? I know a friend who studied the text in class before the teacher told them which extracts were coming up in the exam.

What you did in your school was exactly what I suggested for my teacher because how can you study so closefully in three books? It is better to let a teacher pick a book for you but not knowing the extract and therefore I do not have to think about the two others. However, my teacher said that it is against to rules by doing that,

What you did in your school was exactly what I suggested for my teacher because how can you study so closefully in three books? It is better to let a teacher pick a book for you but not knowing the extract and therefore I do not have to think about the two others. However, my teacher said that it is against to rules by doing that,

Well then unfortunately, you're going to have to study all 3 texts as it seems like your teacher is sticking to the rules quite strictly :/ sorry! Unless, you could somehow persuade them into letting you choose a text or perhaps hinting at which sections would be more important to revise? Whatever your teacher decides to do, I wish you the best of luck! :)

My teacher didn't tell us beforehand either, and since I was on the old syllabus I had to know 3 entire books and a collection of poems. :P Since you won't know for sure, it is best to practice with key scenes in each work that you might be assessed on. Things like major turning points, scenes with an important character development, climaxes, and long monologues/soliloquies (for plays) are good places to start. Whatever you get, your extract will have a lot of literary talking points in order to get you to your time limit.

• Like 2

We were given all of the extracts that we could possibly end up with, so that we were prepared for every single one when we got one of them on the day of the IOC.

When are you having your IOC? Maybe your teacher will give you a hint shortly before you're going to have it.

Edited by Charliepants

Teachers who knowingly break the rules like this should be reported. Let's call the practice for what it is ---"rigging". It is totally corrupt.

And what lesson are we learning? it is OK for us, especially if we can get away with it, but not for others. So, rules be d***d - we're not going to be bound by them. Nice lesson for IB students. And where does that place them in terms of the student profile?

I think these schools need to be blasted with Al Pacino's speech (served up to the Baird College or College of "Bad Bums" in Scent of a Woman) on the subject of hypocriscy and the corruption of ideals .

Edited by Blackcurrant