Ib courses to become an engineer

sportsfan998

That most definitely depends on the university you're thinking of applying to and also on what type of engineer you want to be. Chemical engineering is the only type that would require chemistry HL I believe.

Most unis in the UK want Math HL and Physics HL for any other type of engineering however I know a lot of Canadian unis that mainly look at your total score out of 45 or the combined scores of your HL's. That being said I recommend doing at least physics HL for any type of engineering aside from chemical.

I would say unless you're considering chemical engineering go for physics HL for sure and if you love math, go for math HL. But really just look at the entry requirements for the schools/programs you're considering.

Good luck to you! I'm on the same boat for picking courses now too, looking at either chemical or civil engineering in the future myself. :)

In general, HL math is required for engineering. If you cannot take HL math because your school doesn't offer it, you need to get at least a 6 but preferably a 7 to demonstrate that you can handle the math curriculum. If you're not doing HL math because it's "too hard" then you won't handle math in an engineering course.

HL physics is recommended for engineering and sometimes is required, but it is possible to take SL physics and be okay. You might have to end up re-taking a physics course in uni because IB physics is algebra-based whereas the real deal actual physics that you use to solve engineering problems is calculus-based.

HL chemistry is required for chemical engineering, biomedical/biological engineering, and some environmental engineering courses. Although chemical engineering courses are actually more physics than chemistry, chemistry is still an essential part of any chemical engineering curriculum and you will take lots of chemistry classes. Most other types of engineering require a semester or so of chemistry, but HL isn't required (things like mechanical or civil would fall under this category). Some types don't require it at all, such as electrical engineering and computer science.

If you're serious about engineering, take HL math and HL physics. Take HL chemistry if your desired field is listed above, otherwise SL is okay. The rest of your classes are up to you and you can really take whatever you want.

If you have any questions PM me, or ask in my engineering thread in the university forum on here.