Help with picking my IB subjects

starrynight

hi guys! Okay so I am going to start the IB Diploma soon and need to chose my subjects...I want to go into the medicine field and i am planning on going to University in the US. Here is what I am planning:

Group 1: English A sl

Group 2: French B sl

Group 3: History hl

Group 4: Biology hl and chemistry hl

Group 5: Mathematics sl

Any information on these courses would be amazing. Will these subjects be good for going to medicine? Please and Thank you!!

Hello..your choice is perfect, I also want to go into medicine and I recommend you to choose Psychology instead of history (although is up to you) Im not really an expert in the IB diploma cause I started only 6 months ago, but psychology really turns out to show topics related to medicine career.

Hope this is useful (remember its really your own choose, do what you think its best for you)

hi guys! Okay so I am going to start the IB Diploma soon and need to chose my subjects...I want to go into the medicine field and i am planning on going to University in the US. Here is what I am planning:

Group 1: English A sl

Group 2: French B sl

Group 3: History hl

Group 4: Biology hl and chemistry hl

Group 5: Mathematics sl

Any information on these courses would be amazing. Will these subjects be good for going to medicine? Please and Thank you!!

As juliahernandezg said, these subjects will be fine for applying for medicine.

I recommend you to choose Psychology instead of history (although is up to you) Im not really an expert in the IB diploma cause I started only 6 months ago, but psychology really turns out to show topics related to medicine career.

Regarding doing psychology instead of history, however, I would not advise this decision purely based on the fact that psychology incorporates more medical aspects. If you feel you can do just as well in both psychology and history, then perhaps psychology is the way to go. However, if you enjoy history more, or if you think you can perform better in history, I would opt for that. The reason for this is that, at the end of the day, it's your marks which will decide whether or not you're admitted into medicine moreso than your subject selection. If you're more likely to get the pre-requisite marks doing history, then this is what I would decide on.

In fact, this goes for your entire subject selection. Decide where you want to study medicine, then find out what their prerequisite subjects are - most tertiary institutions actually no longer have prerequisites, and if they do, it's often Chemistry alone, without even Biology. You need to check this though.

Once you have established what the prerequisites are, decide the rest of your subjects based on what will facilitate your best performance - this is most often derived from what you enjoy the most. It's all well and good to do 'sciency' subjects or subjects which have medical content in them, but if you can't perform well in those subjects, then the universities don't care - they want to see good marks, largely regardless of subject.