Further Oral Activity: Advertisement Analysis

SHA

http://cdn.tripwiremagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/twitter1.jpg
http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/bwe/images/2010/08/Skype-Retro-Ad.jpg

Could you suggestion on what I can say based on the text and the picture?

This advertisement was produced by a Brazilian advertising agency for Maximidia Seminar (a seminar on communication) on 2010.

Edited by SHA

http://cdn.tripwiremagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/twitter1.jpg

http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/bwe/images/2010/08/Skype-Retro-Ad.jpg

Could you suggestion on what I can say based on the text and the picture?

This advertisement was produced by a Brazilian advertising agency for Maximidia Seminar (a seminar on communication) on 2010.

Hey!

Twitter and Skype are modern companies and these two advertisements reminds me of good old 80s (though I was not born during that time)

Now based on my input I feel :

1) These two companies want to attract the attention of the customers and hence they are using a unique way of advertising, going back to times.

2) It will give the older generation, a sense of nostalgia, and they will feel happy and might be encouraged to used this product.

3) Nowadays advertisements became boring and irritating and hence people tend to skip it. But out of thousands of advertisements, these both advertisement might attract the attention of the customers they are seeing this time of advertisement after many decades.

4) By the way the company also wanted to include humor because Skype and Twitter are both modern tech but portrayed in 80's advertisement.

Hope it helps! :)

(And by the way I am taking Eng Lit, so I am analyzing this advertisement for first time, but if you think like a customer after seeing this advertisement you will automatically get ideas on whether what to analyse :D

Good Day!

80s...? At a guess, I should have thought 30s -50s. The clothes, advertising style, suggest this, and there is a view of technology and it's purpose that was distinct back then, compared to the taken-granted approach we now have. The 80s played with their toys, but these were often used as serious status symbols (the mobile phone = I'm a really important businessman). They are still toys, but accompanied by less self-importance than greed, or getting the latest on the market. And the ones in the posters that are actually handling the technology are not kids or teens... No: they are the adults. Earlier than the 80s, then. These days, it will be the toddler- teen featured, using the technology. Or gripping it, at least. We grip.

Nostalgia maybe ( I mean, why not?) ... but these posters seem to have their tongue very firmly in cheek.

Just think: (Vintage) posters from 50 or more years ago that present "future" technology. As we read the words and consider the images presented to us, we cannot help thinking "how ingenuous" (not the same as ingenious!). But why package modern tech like this? With all the massive amount of money, professional market research, sociological studies of consumers that now go into high quality, racy ads, and today's sophisticated tricks to fool customers, it is quite reasonable to think that Twitter and Skype are making a statement with these (to us) quaint and simple , here's-what-you-get. No one will be fooled by 50s tricks of the trade, if there are any here (there are, but hardly discernible to our savvy, media- saturated eyes, fed on thousands of hours of microsecond, flashing images).

How refreshing to get it straight from the horse's mouth, we may reflect. And we are a little flattered too.

Edited by Blackcurrant