Math EE, how challenging is it?

bulb

hey,

pff, it's extended essay time...
the other day i asked my math teacher about an extended essay in mathematics and after informing herself (she is quite new in the IB-system ^_^ she told me that all other teachers were so very sceptical about it, as it seems to be so difficult, mhmm... but when she said, there was never a student at our school who did an ee in math, it started tickling me even more :)
i'd love to accept that challenge, however, could I fail the IB because of a failed extended essay?
those who did or do an ee in maths, would they recommend it?

i'm not worrying about a topic or something, i was thinking about how the principles of logics apply in some field of mathematics or something or about how indian (maya,..) calenders worked...

well, just to gather some opinions, what are your experiences? i'm happy about every bit of advice!

Basically, as long as you submit an EE, hence getting the grade E in it, you will not fail. However, if you get an E also in your TOK essay, you will fail. In other words E and E from TOK/EE will fail you, otherwise you'll be fine, just not get the extra points. I'm not too familiar with the Math EE, but you should know that it is considered more challenging than, say, group 3 EEs. However, if you're very good at Math (that means at least high 6, preferably 7), you can do well in it, if you find a suitable topic.

I did my EE in math and I really won't recommend it unless you have a proper and COMPETENT sponsor. The IB Math teacher at our school suddenly decided to take a break over the winter and spring and I was basically left on my own device with only miminal support from the substitute teacher. You're suppose to form a proper research question like any other EE but also go through rigourous mathematical analysis, which I did not know how to do on my own. My topic was on the application of Fibonacci numbers in cryptology.

[quote name='LeeHits' post='19040' date='Jun 29 2008, 08:00 PM']I did my EE in math and I really won't recommend it unless you have a proper and COMPETENT sponsor. The IB Math teacher at our school suddenly decided to take a break over the winter and spring and I was basically left on my own device with only miminal support from the substitute teacher. You're suppose to form a proper research question like any other EE but also go through rigourous mathematical analysis, which I did not know how to do on my own. My topic was on the application of Fibonacci numbers in cryptology.[/quote]

What was your predicted level? ... Also for our school the student HAS to meet up with the mentor and record it atleast five times

Only about 1 or 2 kids in my school do a Math EE each year, as it usually is easier for a student to carry out a lab experiment and write, a really long lab report (from my experiences). Your best bet would be to try to look at past Math EEs, see how they wrote it, and improve on it. Best of luck!