Chemistry EE?

Ib_slave

I don't actually have chemistry as a subject but I do have some past experiences with these topics.

Please comment on their feasibility. Any tips on how to handle the essay will be greatly appreciated.

1. Utilizing tallow (cow fat) as main component in biodiesel
2. Utilizing pineapple husk to make synthetic wood
3. Utilizing avocado oil extracted from rind as main component in biodiesel

Well i personally think you should choose a topic in which youre taking a course in. Im doing mine in Chemistry, and even if Im not directly using what I learn in class, it helps me with the basic knowledge and stuff. But if you still want to do it in Chemistry I advice you t choose an easy but interesting topic. The first topic seems pretty good, but how will you do an experiment? If youre using lab equipments then you need a superviser who cant help you AT ALL in the lab. They are just there to prove that you did it alone, and it cant be someone like your dad, its better if its your supervisor. And the same is with the rest of your topics, but the avocado oil seems like a kool idea, so I would really try to do something with it. Good luck!

A major problem you might run into is the procedure. How will you manage to do so? And if you don't succeed then what will you write on your essay? One thing that comes into mind and my teacher told me, "You're not trying to cure cancer. Keep it simple" Basically she means that the more complex, the more trouble you might run into while writing your essay. Remember, it also has to fit under the strict chemistry guidelines from the IBO.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree.. the topics above are somehow to obscure..
narrow it down a bit, there needs to be variables so that u could analyze better, make charts, prediction etc.
find something more quantitative..
the ideas you have are really good..
but you could probably try perhaps, the energy density of the cow fat or something that could be quantified like i just said.
good luck =]