Will I even have a chance of getting an offer?

rubii

Hi everyone,

I have been quite determined to apply to Cambridge to study history...but receiving my predicted grades this week is giving me doubts...

GCSEs
[u]5 As 5 A*s[/u]

AS Chinese [u]A[/u]

[b]IB May 2009 - predicted
English SL [u]7[/u]
Maths SL [u]6/7[/u]
Physics SL [u]6/7[/u]
Spanish HL [u]6[/u]
Art HL [u]6[/u]
History HL [u]7[/u] [/b]

I am really quite worried since on the Cambridge site, it is written they want 40 points minimum overall with 7 7 6 at HL, which im not exactly getting now...
would they just like reject me becuz im not 776 at HL?? should i just not consider applying at all?

can anyone offer me some advice???
im kinda in a panic state now...really worried...

Thanks!

Edited by rubii

Admittedly, having a 7 7 6 in your HLs would make you a more competitive applicant.. Remember that your grades aren't the only things that make or break your application. However, if that is a pre-requisite to enter the university, you may want to rethink your options. Good luck anyway!

Well, I'm pretty sure that with those grades you'll at least be invited for an interview/test whatever it is in the college of your choice. So it's definitely worth applying. Since your grades aren't quite 7-7-6 at HL, I'd apply for the college which at least seems to emphasize the interview part the most, since you'll then be able to impress them in the interview, as they will not be looking at your grades but rather at what you are saying. To find a list of the college interview processes, click [url="http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/history/tests.html"]here[/url]!

[quote name='Forester' post='19380' date='Jul 6 2008, 11:47 AM']7 6 6 at HL will give you a chance, but most likely you will get owned by the 7 7 6s and the 7 7 7s[/quote]

Someone in my school just got in with 37 to Cambridge... So it depends on the person, a LOT.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got into Cambridge to study History with a matriculation offer (I ended up getting 37 points). I don't know what I was predicted but it definately wasnt 777 at HL or even 776 for that matter. I did Maths HL and my school did not cope with it well at all. I ended up with a 4 :)

Anyway it just proves that with unis such as Oxbridge that really don't care about all the subjects your doing, they are only interested in the ones relating to the subject you wish to study. As long as you ace the interview and have a prediction of 7 in HL History you stand a great chance.

I see you are doing HL Art - thats a great example of a subject they really wont care that much about =) as long as you have that 7 in History and possibly English.

And I'm sorry but to Foresters comment about how you will be 'owned' by anyone with 776 or above - that's just not true.

Oh and also put all your effort into producing a great EE in history - you can send it to Cambridge as a piece of written work, and if it's good I'm sure you will impress them :)

If you want any more advice or info just ask, I'd love to help -_-