Research Project HL English

We're going to start reading The Great Gatsby. Our teacher has given us a research project, each two classmates have a different topic to research and they must teach the class about it. Each group will be given five minutes. The topic she's chosen center around what was happening when The Great Gatsby was written (context). She has the chosen "The 19th Amendment" for me and my classmate.

Here's what she's written on the assignment:

During your presentation, be sure to point out the information you consider most vital. This information will be on a quiz. Work must be MLA cited.

The nineteenth amendment was made effective in 1920. Trace the history of the women's suffrage movement. What arguments were made for and against women's suffrage.(I don't understand this question). Were any of these ideals or worries realized? How has women's right to vote changed the United States?

Presentation will be graded on:

How well prepared were the presenters? 5pts

Did the presentation help you learn key concepts/terms about this topic? 5pts (What ARE the key concepts and terms? I'm not american, what should I look for?)

Was the presentation lively, creative, and interesting? Did it use teaching strategies (handouts/video/animated PPP/activities) to engage and TEACH the audience? Were key concepts/terms presented with great clarity? 5pts

So far, this how I have decided to teach the class:

I will print handouts with all the key concepts and terms for students to study at home.

For kinesthetic learners, they must highlight these concepts and terms while I explain them.

For visual learners, I will bring a few pictures of protesters and use similes to help them imagine the situation.

For auditory learners, remember to use your voice in a clear and enthusiastic voice. Use interesting but understandable vocabulary.

What I'm having problems with:

Which websites will be reliable for information about the 19th amendment? Google is confusing.

What does she mean by key concepts/terms?

Do you think the way I will be teaching the students will help them?

Edited by NoNo_XD

I would have been beyond unhappy if anybody had ever made me waste my time on a project like this! But, got to do what your teacher orders, I guess X___X Don't see how on earth doing all this history research is going to help your skills in literature one jot, or indeed even inform you all that much about the themes of the Great Gatsby.

Do you understand what suffrage means? Suffrage = the right to vote.

So basically she's asking you to find out:

1. The history of women trying to get the right to vote in the US

2. The arguments FOR women being able to vote at the time

3. The arguments made AGAINST women being able to vote at the time

4. Whether any of the arguments (on either side) actually turned out to be genuinely good points in hindsight after women did achieve the right to vote

5. How women being able to vote has made an impact on the US since

You'll find out what the key concepts and terms are when you do the research. You can't know until then what the most important events/facts/arguments were. I have no idea what they were, I only know about suffrage in Britain, but you should be able to Wikipedia most of it.

It sounds like you've got some plan for teaching so I'm sure that'll be fine. This isn't IB work, this is just something your teacher has made up to fill your evenings with.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1