Writing an Extended Essay in MATH

ibnight

Hey Guys ... I hope that everybody is doing well..

This summer I have t write an extended essay.I am very interested in the scientific side, especially writing one in math. However, I am looking for interesting topics in math that I can do an extended essay in, but I didn't find yet. I am really lost, so Could anybody help me by giving me advices for good extended essay topics in math, please??

This summer I have t write an extended essay.I am very interested in the scientific side, especially writing one in math. However, I am looking for interesting topics in math that I can do an extended essay in, but I didn't find yet. I am really lost, so Could anybody help me by giving me advices for good extended essay topics in math, please??

Teachers in my school strongly recommend writing your EE on Math. Mainly because it is very difficult to write 4000 words on a mathematics topic. Because thesis have to be arguable, there isn't much you can argue in math and write 4000 words for it. Just my suggestion.

I understand ...

but 4000 words is the limit, and when you write an EE in math you don't care about the number of the words as much as the strength of the argument and the quality of the research. I'm just lost in finding a good topic in math that have a good argument to make a good EE.

thank you

hi! i'm writing my extended essay in maths as well

you can do it in almost anything, as long as the maths is complex enough and it uses some part of the curriculum

i'm using graph theory to investigate the 4 colour theorem, where it says that you only need 4 colours to colour a map

you could investigate pythagoras, prime numbers, coding, the rubik's cube, lots of stuff

hope this helped

hi! i'm writing my extended essay in maths as well

you can do it in almost anything, as long as the maths is complex enough and it uses some part of the curriculum

i'm using graph theory to investigate the 4 colour theorem, where it says that you only need 4 colours to colour a map

you could investigate pythagoras, prime numbers, coding, the rubik's cube, lots of stuff

hope this helped

Thanks ... that helps a lot

We have a plethora of example Math EEs, so you might want to take a look at them. You'll need VIP, though, so you're going to have to be active and contribute :P . (Or just buy them :) )

The EE doesn't need to be 4000 words long in math, I've heard of successful (=A) essays which were hardly 2000 words. The EE isn't judged by the quantity, but rather by the QUALITY of it. It, of course, is not a bad idea to write 4000 words, but it's not required :)

no idea how anyone can write 4k words on math
Well what my instructor said, is that if you manage to write 2500-3000 for Math, you'll be fine. 2000-2500 is cutting it close though. You just prove an advanced theorem, explain a few of the more complex applications, etc.

At least - I hope so. :) Someone care to confirm/abrogate (I hope I used the right word) ?

Well what my instructor said, is that if you manage to write 2500-3000 for Math, you'll be fine. 2000-2500 is cutting it close though. You just prove an advanced theorem, explain a few of the more complex applications, etc.

At least - I hope so. :) Someone care to confirm/abrogate (I hope I used the right word) ?

You're absolutely correct :)

Well that in that case, for the OP, find what areas of mathematics you're most interested in. This website is really helpful as it shows a whole bunch of different mathematics topics, and links you to many sites which are dedicated to those topics. From there, you can basically start looking into things at the HS [high school] level and picking out ones that you like. Approach your supervisor, and show him/her all the information you've gathered, and which topics to stay away from. You'll eventually get to one, which you'll write for your EE. :)

• 1 month later...

Um.. i've just started researching for the EE in maths as well... but geez it seems quite complicated to nail a topic, aye?

newais. my teacher and i've been discussing the correlations between the marks and the type of questions..

it seems to be a good idea to choose a practical application of maths rather than a theoretical aspect..

because, whatever you do, the latter will be an analysis of what has already been discovered/invented whatevr..

whereas, when you're looking for a practical application, you can add your own ideas and make it more creative, original..

you can make it YOUR work..

hence, tho i can't recommend much, as i'm a newb myself, i think the choice of the topic is crucial in getting a good grade.

and if you're the type that doesn't care much about getting a high mark.. maybe it'd be easier to choose some other subject?

in my school, the easiest subs are spanish *school in argentina* and economics..

so food for thought..

cheers!

B

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, you can write an EE on the histry of math///and mathmaticians

• 11 years later...