changing subjects during the 2nd year (please help!)

• i know this is stupid but is ive been considering this for a long time and i need to decide asap. I'm taking bio at SL. I intend to do accounting and finance or economics in the future. i noticed most of them liked science that show mathematical aptitude (?) and bio requires a lot of memorizing and no calculations at all, especially at SL. During GCSE, my best subject was physics. So i thought maybe by taking physics SL i will do better? I tried my best at bio SL but always ended up at 6 only..

Altho it may 'sound' like a good choice, but im already in IB2. Ill try my best to juggle my time properly. but im worried about the lab reports. are there plenty? I'm just afraid university will ask me why do i choose bio, and i dont want to say that i took the subject because i was forced to. i have trouble talking things about bio in my personal statement since it's my worst subject and i really dont like it. is it even possible to change to physics sl? chem sl will even do cause its my 2nd best subject

ps: my school wont allow to take it because they lack teachers in those subjects. we have surplus of bio teachers due to my college used to be filled with medicine students

Edited by fufufuufufufufuuu

If you are not falling behind in your other subjects then I suggest you can change subject as it is "only" an SL. However, bear in my mind that physics is not just about learning, the difficulty comes when you have to apply your knowledge so you need a lot of time to practice. How are you planning to change subject if your school doesn't allow you to?

Stick with biology, you don't need to change. The universities don't care too much about your SL subjects so they won't ask about why you took biology instead of physics. Lastly, if you don't want to talk about biology in your personal statement then don't. You only have 4000 characters to play with and you should be talking about accounting and finance, not describing all of your subjects.

• Like 2

Your SL subjects only exist to boost your overall point score. Also, nobody cares for Science subjects when applying for Economics/Finance & Accounting. Maths is the only important subject in those fields. Stick with Biology and just don't talk about it in your Personal Statement, there's no reason to talk about Physics either, especially since you'd be taking it at SL.

• Like 1

Your SL subjects only exist to boost your overall point score. Also, nobody cares for Science subjects when applying for Economics/Finance & Accounting. Maths is the only important subject in those fields. Stick with Biology and just don't talk about it in your Personal Statement, there's no reason to talk about Physics either, especially since you'd be taking it at SL.

Maths is the only important subject in those fields?

Do you think Maths HL will be beneficial if i applied to a&f?

Maths is the only important subject in those fields?

Do you think Maths HL will be beneficial if i applied to a&f?

Maths HL is considered overkill for A&F, I think. Even top universities ask for 7s in Maths SL last i checked. Economics, however, they require Maths HL, and if your aim is for Oxbridge/LSE type unis, then a 7 in Maths HL.

But again, this is strictly for the UK and its top universities. if you apply elsewhere in the world, the rules change substantially.

• 3 weeks later...