analysis vs commentary

are you talking about the difference between paper 1 and <insert analysis paper here>, or just generally?

if it is the latter then *inhale* commentary is basically just your input (opion) over the analysis you just did... *exhale*

wow expected to bull**** a bit more :) sorry to dissapoint!

I assume you're talking about World lit. paper 2, but that may be because i just finished mine and i have that on my mind. Anyway, from what i gather, a commentary is usually where you appreciate a passage or piece of poetry only, which means that you don't really link it to the rest of the book or what have you. This means literary devices, tone, mood, etc. If you read the rubric, it will say analysis of a key passage or a commentary or something along those lines. An analysis usually means that you should look at the piece with the rest of the book in mind, including themes and motifs. It depends on if they specify a 'key' passage or not. Hope this helps!

A commentary is basically where your arguments are focused on literary devices..like say there's 3 lit devices (character, conflict and imagery) that reveal a main theme. You would talk about these lit devices and how they reveal the theme in the passage. You focus on the passage in itself and not really the whole work.

For analysis of a key passage, it's more of why this particular passage is essential to the work as a whole. You focus on the whole work, how this passage creates tension, heightens suspense, drives the plot, reveals something about the characters, etc.

• Like 1