Chemistry or English?

Fredrik B

I am starting the IB next year, and need som help to decide which subjects I should choose. Currently I have decided som of them:

HL:

Economics

Spanish B

SL:

Norwegian A1

Mathematical Studies

I'm from Norway, and are pretty sure that I want to study Economics at UNI. I want to apply for a uni here in Norway, which explains why I have chosen Norwegian and Economics. Math isn't my strongest subject, and since the uni I want to get into doesn't require more than Math Studies, I decided to stick with it as I really have potential to score a 7. I have chosen Spanish for no other reason thatI really enjoy it. Most students at my shool tends to take English A1 in group nr. 2, but I want to study Spanish instead.

For the science I'm considering to take Bio (maybe at HL) since I enjoy it, and because it is the science subject I like the most.

So, for my question: I need to decide my subject for group number 6. Had some thoughts about taking English A1 in addition to Spanish and Norwegian. I am strong in languages, but I am not sure if I want to study two A1 languages (not that interested in reading novels etc). On the other hand, I also enjoy science (not Physics), therefore I've been thinking about Chemistry (at SL in that case, and Bio HL). I haven't much experience with Chem, but I think I might find it very interesting (had a dream of studying medicine once, but more interested in Econ). If I decide to take English A1, I have to take Bio at HL and English at SL as I am not that fluent in English. And I've heard that to achieve a 7 in HL English is nearly impossible. Is this true?

Though I don't want to study science at uni, it is tempting to take both Bio (HL) and Chem(SL) as I think I will excel in it (at least in Bio). N Anyway, I am not so sure which subject I both will enjoy and excel in the most. Really need some help to find out what options that are best for me. Somebody who can give me a hand? Would be glad for any feedback, and please share all your thoughts and experiences :clap: Thanks!

I took chemistry and I really enjoyed it. I took english A1 and Spanish A, and I had a hard time because there were too many reading for each of those subjects, therefore I would recommend you to not take more than 3 languages, and I would chose Chemistry instead, but it is basically opt to you, if you think you can manage your time wisely and you enjoy languages then you should go for english.

I took chemistry and I really enjoyed it. I took english A1 and Spanish A, and I had a hard time because there were too many reading for each of those subjects, therefore I would recommend you to not take more than 3 languages, and I would chose Chemistry instead, but it is basically opt to you, if you think you can manage your time wisely and you enjoy languages then you should go for english.

What did you get in English, Spanish and Chem? And which of them did you take at HL/SL? Also, whre are you from?

Well, Norwegian will be a piece of cake, won't be using that much time in this subject either. Spanish on the other hand, will be challenging, so I think English in addition will be overwhelming and a bit too much of the same as in both Spanish and Norwegian.

How about taking English B since you're not fluent. You'll basically be learning the language, and minimal literature compared to straight up English A1. Another option is English Language and Literature, but I think English B would be the least literature option. From your writing you seem pretty fluent.

As for Biology or Chemistry, Biology is a lot of memorisation and content whilst Chemistry you'd need some memorisation, some calculation manipulation as understanding the content. From my experience chemistry was quite a demanding subject even when I moved to SL. I'd strongly advise you not to take it as a fill a space subject just because you need to fulfil a group subject requirement or need to fill your six subjects, especially not at HL. I'd advise you to take it if you're very dedicated to the subject and have something that would keep you motivated throughout the course like, for example, you need it for university admissions or you're just extremely interested or good at chemistry. Biology should be quite accessible if you have a good memory and you're interested.

You could check past IB statistics as well as your school's previous statistics to help with your decisions. See if you can talk to former and current students about the teachers who teach the subjects you're considering taking. Check things like whether they're good teachers, engaging, whether the students like[d] the class etc. Also you could enquire about pass rates.

• Like 1

How about taking English B since you're not fluent. You'll basically be learning the language, and minimal literature compared to straight up English A1. Another option is English Language and Literature, but I think English B would be the least literature option. From your writing you seem pretty fluent.

As for Biology or Chemistry, Biology is a lot of memorisation and content whilst Chemistry you'd need some memorisation, some calculation manipulation as understanding the content. From my experience chemistry was quite a demanding subject even when I moved to SL. I'd strongly advise you not to take it as a fill a space subject just because you need to fulfil a group subject requirement or need to fill your six subjects, especially not at HL. I'd advise you to take it if you're very dedicated to the subject and have something that would keep you motivated throughout the course like, for example, you need it for university admissions or you're just extremely interested or good at chemistry. Biology should be quite accessible if you have a good memory and you're interested.

You could check past IB statistics as well as your school's previous statistics to help with your decisions. See if you can talk to former and current students about the teachers who teach the subjects you're considering taking. Check things like whether they're good teachers, engaging, whether the students like[d] the class etc. Also you could enquire about pass rates.

Thank you for feedback!

My school doesn't offer English B or English Language and literature, so If I want English, I have to take it as a A1. I agree with you when it comes to chemistry, since I am not that interested in it, and I look at it as a decent filler for my 6th subject. Also a little bit worried about taking Bio HL, as I've heard that the examiners are strict and that you need to impress them on each answer though it's mostly memorization. You can have the right answers, but not outfilled enough to gain full marks, if you know what I mean? However, I could ditch chemistry and take history instead. I really love history, just a little bit worried that I won't be such a good essaywriter. I could consider history as my third HL and drop bio down to SL. Do you have any experience with history?

What did you get in English, Spanish and Chem? And which of them did you take at HL/SL? Also, whre are you from?

Well, Norwegian will be a piece of cake, won't be using that much time in this subject either. Spanish on the other hand, will be challenging, so I think English in addition will be overwhelming and a bit too much of the same as in both Spanish and Norwegian.

I took spanish A and english A both Hl and chemistry sl. In both languages I got too much reading material, every partial i had to read about 2-4 books total, so it was definitely a lot.. I'm from Mexico city so Spanish wasnt that hard although, but yet there were too much work (world literature, oral comentary, etc). As I said before, if you think you can handle and you like languages take that option, I believe that 3 languages is just too much and I would go for chemistry (is a biased opinion as a matter of fact I love chemistry, so don't trust me on that one). Maybe you might look at history or business and managment that aren't actually that bad (I took history Hl and it was awesome, the grade boundaries are way too flexible so a 7 is not that hard) good luck! and may the mass*acceleration be with you!

Edited by harry_lev
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Taking 3 languages would mean a lot of reading, especially since two of them would be at A1. One of my friends has Swedish A1 as well as English A1 and French B. I basically always see her reading books from at least one of these classes. If you enjoy reading books and don't mind the analysing then taking all three wouldn't be a problem – you just have to manage your time :D

I have Bio HL and, as with pretty much all the mark schemes, if you're missing the one key word you'll most likely lose a mark.. But it's the same with Chemistry – I have Chem at HL, but we have class at the same time as SL and their part of the syllabus is also pretty challenging… And I may be slightly biased but Bio SL is a piece of cake compared to HL XD

I guess it all depends on whether you're more of a science-y or language-y person ;)

Here, for Category 2, we are allowed to take Ab Initio (beginner) languages. Maybe they offer English Ab Initio there? I am not sure if the IB permits this or not. You might like to check with your IB Co-ordinator as you seem pretty good at english to me and would most likely ace it!

On the other hand, I know I would never have chosen 3 languages.

From the perspective of wanting to do Economics in the future, maybe look into what other Humanities are offered at your school. Some offer Business and Management, that MIGHT (I am not sure how much) correlate with studying Economics. I don't really know though to be honest.

I think that doing Chemistry SL is a good option, depending on how good the teachers are, because its very interesting and though it will take some time learning the concepts, you eventually get there.

Also, like Award Winning Boss has said above, Economics does involve maths, so perhaps you would like to do SL maths instead of Studies. Even if the uni you don't want to get in only requires up til Studies, it is always better to know more as you won't want to fall behind at Uni. You might want to check how much maths Economics really needs.

I highly doubt that you need to go as far as doing HL maths though. Hope this helped! :)

• Like 1