Calculators - Maths exams

Skywalker

Hi. I am after maths HL exams... And during pap 2 I had following incident...

I gave my texas calculator 2 days before exam to prepare it to exam... Then, I went to pap 2 exam, started to calculate first excercise... and I needed to use graph function to obtain result. But, function invalid, error or sth like this appeared. I thought that maybe I had made a mistake earlier, so I went to another excercises... and in one of them, I wanted to use graphs again... and again invalid. I realised that maybe something is wrong with calculator, I tried to obtain any simply function like 2x... and again error. I reported it to teacher who watched an exam... and he gave me another calculator.

It seems OK, but all in all, I wasted some time to this... and I became more stressed because of it also. At the and of exam there was not enough time for me... I know that it's maybe stupid, I should pass this exam, but without this incident maybe I would have more points and better grade? It is vital that school was responsible for these calculators...

Would you report it to IB coordinator or someone else?

I don't think your IB coordinator can really do anything about this to be perfectly honest. They can't give you additional time (it wouldn't be fair to everyone else taking the exam) or bonus points for a calculator malfunction. So while it sucks that you missed out on some points you probably could have gotten, you can't really do anything about it now, so I would stop dwelling on it and focus on doing extra well on any remaining exams you have.

I agree with Emy on this one. In the end, IBO would define it as your fault for not checking that the calculator worked as it should, and they won't give you some extra points based on that. The IB coordinator can't really do anything either, so it'd be pointless to ask him or her to do something about this.

Next time you face similar issues (hopefully you won't), try to reset the calculator completely. That should remove any faulty settings or whatever that caused your issue.

Yeah, I know it sucks to have a malfunctioning calc, but it is your responsibility to make sure your calculator works, batteries last etc, thus I too reckon there's nothing you can do except live with it. It's not the end of the world after all.