Presentation - Police Horses

LancerGirl

Okay, so, I've chosen to present on whether horses should be used in policing. I have just started to prepare for my presentation, but I have some of the basics. What I have done so far is:

For
•Good public connection
•Passive intimidation
•Tradition
•Can go were patrol cars can’t
•Effective for crowd control

Agaisnt
•Too expensive
•Dangerous (to people and horses: horses can be hurt, people can be trampled)
•Horses crap
•Extremely stressful for the horses
•Forced into the work

The only problem is, it really doesn't seem very TOKish. I'm having a lot of trouble both finding sources and making it into a real TOK presentation. I was also thinking about doing "the effect of video games on the gamers" (which I've found was done by someone else already on this site). I like them both equally, but my teacher suggested I do the police horses one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. :)

I am going to apologise first for being blunt. I honestly thought this thread was a joke and was hoping to be surprised when I read your outline - I wasn't. I am going to assume you like PETA or something :) . The way I see it your presentation is just not TOK at all. It's not very provocative and - I regret to say - uninteresting. I don't think many of your classmates will be intrigued which will make it difficult to have a discussion afterwards.

Which AoK and WoK are you using for this presentation? I only see Law and maybe Ethics with a little Emotion. My advice would be to go with the video game thing since it involved addiction and humans far more than police horses. You would then be using perception of reality and ethics, blurring the line between reality and unreality, if violent games played by 6-year-olds is good/bad for society etc.

Again sorry for being blunt but ToK and the presentation are far too important and fun to be wasted on horses and the police force :) .

[quote name='blindpet' post='17169' date='May 25 2008, 03:21 PM']I am going to apologise first for being blunt. I honestly thought this thread was a joke and was hoping to be surprised when I read your outline - I wasn't. I am going to assume you like PETA or something :) . The way I see it your presentation is just not TOK at all. It's not very provocative and - I regret to say - uninteresting. I don't think many of your classmates will be intrigued which will make it difficult to have a discussion afterwards.

Which AoK and WoK are you using for this presentation? I only see Law and maybe Ethics with a little Emotion. My advice would be to go with the video game thing since it involved addiction and humans far more than police horses. You would then be using perception of reality and ethics, blurring the line between reality and unreality, if violent games played by 6-year-olds is good/bad for society etc.

Again sorry for being blunt but ToK and the presentation are far too important and fun to be wasted on horses and the police force :) .[/quote]

:) I agree. I just did an outline for the videogame thing, and it's much better. It's just my teacher was like: "Do that one!" So I agreed and read through it. Doing the effect of videogames will make a much better presentation. And I'm sure that it'll be much more fun. Thanks for the input!