Rate of Reaction Design Lab

Hi,

I'm taking HL Chemistry and this is my first year. I picked my topic to be "How does the pH value of an acid/base affect the rate of reaction".

The problem is, I don't really know what to base my experiment on. For example, How will I really conduct this lab? I just have no idea how to start this thing out, any ideas are really appreciated!

I was thinking the lab would be divided into 2 sections:

1st Section:

The control will be a base in a beaker (NaOH) and I will titrate 3 different acids (of strength weak, medium, strong) at same concentration into the beaker and measure the rate of reaction

2nd Section:

The control will be an acid in the beaker (HCl) and I will titrate 3 different bases( of strength weak, medium, strong) at same concentration into the beaker and measure the rate of reaction.

My problem is, HOW will I measure the rate of reaction?

Thanks

We just did an IA on this :)
(but I'm still in my first year, so fact check me)
(that, and i don't know what titration is...)
But anyway, the formula is: change in mass or concentration divided by change in time.
So you could place a beaker full of whatever on an electronic balance, then pour in whatever you need to react with it.
When you pour in the 2nd chemical, start timing with a stopwatch immediately. At an interval of your choosing (like 5 or 10 seconds) record the mass. If you do five seconds (like I did) your timing might be off because everything happens so quickly, depending on the rxn. It might help to record or time.
(And for your uncertainties in your time measurement: you take the stopwatch, start and stop the stopwatch as fast as you can. The time that you get (like .15 seconds) is your uncertainty!)
So from there, you have the change in time, because you used the stop watch, and you have the change in mass!
Hope this helps!