Grading scale for the Written Assignment

Would this be the World Literature that is out of 25 and has an interactive oral reflective statement with it? If so, yes, it is given a grade between 1-7. However, also worth noting is that in English A1 (which is what I'm assuming to do because of where this is posted :P ) then it is actually worth exactly 25% of your grade :) in English A1, every mark you get counts as 1% towards your final grade, same goes for any marks lost being automatically deducted.

To get a 4 you should only need about 10-12 or so marks. However if possible it is worth gaining some extra marks there because handing in a coursework that is 10/25 automatically drops your total down by 15% before any other aspects of the assessment are even taking place! So it is in your interest to maybe ask your teacher for feedback, and have a go through it again. :)

• Like 1

So, it's the night before my Written Assignment is due and I'm making final revisions to my paper. Is it graded on the 1-7 scale or by letter grade? If 1-7, what is the minimum score needed to achieve a 4?

The Written Task/Assignment is marked out of 20, which then is converted to a 1-7 level scale. For HL Lang/Lit, I'm guessing the grade boundary is similar to Paper 1, so a Level 4 would be approximately 10-13 out of 20.

• Like 1

@carpediem I thought that was the old system when there were two, both marked out of 20 to give a mark out of 40. My English A1 HL World Literature is a single piece of work marked out of 25

HL there are two: Written Task 1 and Written Task 2. (Or Written Assignment). For SL Lang/Lit it's just the Written Task 1.

Would this be the World Literature that is out of 25 and has an interactive oral reflective statement with it? If so, yes, it is given a grade between 1-7. However, also worth noting is that in English A1 (which is what I'm assuming to do because of where this is posted :P ) then it is actually worth exactly 25% of your grade :) in English A1, every mark you get counts as 1% towards your final grade, same goes for any marks lost being automatically deducted.

To get a 4 you should only need about 10-12 or so marks. However if possible it is worth gaining some extra marks there because handing in a coursework that is 10/25 automatically drops your total down by 15% before any other aspects of the assessment are even taking place! So it is in your interest to maybe ask your teacher for feedback, and have a go through it again. :)

Oh, wow. Thanks for the breakdown; it was very helpful!

I do Higher Level English Literature A1. I have two orals (IOP and IOC) marked out of 30, with an average found for an oral mark /30. One world literature written assignment out of 25. Paper One prose/poem commentary out of 20. Paper two comparative essay on drama texts out of 25

There's a new syllabus for English I believe, I'm in HL and there are no longer two written tasks

Oh, wow. Thanks for the breakdown; it was very helpful!

No worries. :) you can achieve better marks in your written assignment by doing a number of things to hit each criteria:

- Reflective Statement: get 3 marks by showing a personal and interesting reflection on the group oral - say what topics you discussed, or even that you personally introduced to the group, with a number of examples of context/culture that help you understand your book better.

- Essay: the criteria are for things such as structure, language, knowledge of your book, analysis and appreciation of the writer's choices. Knowledge of your book and analysis will be demonstrated by the PQE stuff of choosing a good example to support your points, and in analysing it say WHY it supports your point - never leave a point unexplained as 'obvious' and a quote should never speak for itself. It also reeks of poor structure to have random quotes thrown in and not explained! If you aren't comfortable with using very sophisticated vocabulary/grammar then getting full marks for language (5?) might be difficult, but you can certainly avoid dropping to 3 marks or so by proof reading it, making sure there are NO grammar/spelling mistakes as these will tear you down. Also by avoiding things being clumsily phrased. If you read a sentence and it is far too long, or sounds awkward and confusing, examiners will get frustrated as they have too many to mark to puzzle over it, and they'll penalise you. They also want you to be formal and professional, and not write as if you were talking to a friend. Simple advice but good to bear in mind :P

• Like 1