Tips on writing a Philosophy EE

keyboardmash

Firstly, I'm not actually doing philosophy as a subject in ib right now as my school unfortunately doesn't offer it, and I know that many people discourage doing an EE in it if you don't... But I'm fairly certain this is what I'll be doing, so please keep the criticism of that choice to a minimum.

I'd just like to know anyone's experience with doing a philosophy EE in the past, especially if they didn't do the subject, and any suggestions on how to go about it or things to avoid. Just any tips on how best to prepare for it would be much appreciated. I'm considering doing an essay on something along the lines of the validity of Nietzche's Übermensch vs. Transhumanism in relation to nihilism; would this be an appropriate choice of topic? If not, how could I change it to make it suitable?

Just so you know, I really don't recommend doing it especially if you don't take the subject or have an appropriate supervisor. (this is the same with all subjects) This is because the marking criteria is quite strict.

With this being said, philosophy EEs aren't research papers that just let you talk about a philosophical idea. Otherwise that's a narrative essay which equals poopy marks. You want good marks right?

I'm rambling. sorry :lol:

Anyway, your topic isn't appealing to me. 1) you'd be better off investigating Nietzsche's views on moral nihilism then investigating the different aspects of his argument (such as ubermensch). 2) Personally I can only make a tenuous link between transhumanism and Nietzsche's philosophy. The main debate is whether it influenced the transhumanism movement. 3) following from that, there isn't much of an essay in that respect.

Focus on either Nietzsche's philosophy or the morality of transhumanism. I'd recommend Nietzsche. You'll probably make a better essay out of it since the morality of transhumanism links to all sorts of things like sanctity of life. Which isn't very specific. Now you get to focus on meta ethics :panic:

Okay, so if I was to do something purely on Nietzche where would you recommend starting? Would be doing it purely on morality be an acceptable topic?

Yes it would.

Nietzsche has written a lot of things. You could discuss and criticise his moral nihilism by assessing whether or not we can have moral facts or not. You could focus on his concept of 'will to power' since that is about relationships and whether they're based on dominance. You might be able to talk about his statement 'god is dead' but I fear that'd just be a narrative essay.

However, you can't do a philosophy essay on purely one philosopher. You will, without a doubt, include other philosophers in your argument.

• 10 years later...