Biology Lab Report - Rounding Mean & STDEV?

LeonieIB

I have a question about rounding the Mean and Standard Deviation in my Table of Results.

If the data that I collect (DV) is logically rounded to 0 decimal places because it is in full units.... What do I do with Mean & STDEV?

Do I round them to 0 as well? It looks very strange and seems un-precise. Or maybe round even the DV (the bmp) to .0 or .00?

I just heard we have to be consistent. Thanks.

Edited by Bunny

I believe someone has already answered your question?

Nope, unfortunately not. Would you have an answer?

I thought you did the graph with the error bars and everything...Everything has to be rounded to the same number of decimal places.

As I have stated, with division (the mean etc.), the end result should be rounded to as many significant figures as the least precise data (so, for example, 1/10, the result would be rounded to one significant figure).

So, if you want to maintain consistency of data, you will have to round all data according to the mean,STDEV etc.

The amount of decimals depends on the value of the uncertainty. The uncertainty should be rounded up to one significant figure and the actual value should have an equal amount of decimals as your up-rounded uncertainty. See below:

1.) 14.693932 m ± 3.4109343 m

= 15 m ± 4 m [round up uncertainty]

2.) 19.5142514 V ± 0.23 V

= 19.5 V ± 0.3 V

3.) 34.124921 A ± 0.001456929 A

= 34.125 A ± 0.002 A

Note that you are only supposed to round the values which will be your final answer of the experiment (the aim of your experiment).

/ Adam