Written Task 1 - Poem, IA?

I have a few questions.

1) I am in English A SL and we've been given the "Written Task 1" for next week. Can someone explain the details of it to me, or link me to a source? As far as I understand, we have to choose one of the poems we studied (by W. Owen) and write about the language he uses. We need 800-1000 words, I have no idea how I can manage that... Apparently it shouldn't be an essay, but can be e.g. a newspaper article. What are some other examples/ideas? I'd also appreciate if someone told me where I could find a sample paper.

2) We're being given only a week to do this, so is it like a practice one, will we have to do another Written Task 1? Also, will the IA consist of this or is this completely irrelevant to it?

Edited by Kerry_B

You shouldn't have to do anything like this for your final grade coursework wise (you will for the exams though!). The IA is the world lit section however that will be based on literature not poetry consisting of an essay and some other little reflective bits. You will also have to do 2 orals, one based on unseen poetry and one based on literature that you have studied.

Perhaps you could compare/ contrast two poems by Owen and talk about the techniques used in them etc. Talk about his feelings about the war and his poem's intentions.

Hope that helped.

Unless your program is different (can't see how or why it would be) then no...

Kerry_B is talking about the Language and Literature programme, so the Written Task 1 is different to the World Literature component. :)

The Written Task (also known as the Written Assignment, which should not be confused with the new Written Assignment/Task from Group 2 - they vary slightly) is more creative piece of writing, and is part of your coursework/Internal Assessments. It replaces the World Literature component from the old syllabus for Language and Literature. There are two types of Written Tasks: Written Task 1, and Written Task 2. Because you are SL, you only complete Written Task 1.

Written Task 1 is a more creative piece, and because of this it is NOT an essay. It is split into two parts: the main body, and the rationale, and there are two types of Written Task 1s: Language and Literature. By the sound of it, you are doing a WT1 Literature piece because you have to base it off poems by W. Owen.

Main Body (800-1000 words)

The aim of a WT1 Literature is to show your understanding of the original text. This can be done by writing in the style of the author, and showing literary elements and symbolism in your piece. One example is one of my WT1s, where I based it off Dracula and wrote a screenplay based on a 2-page scene from the book, incorporating typical gothic elements as well as elements specific to Dracula into my screenplay. This brings me to my next point: WT1s can be written in any format you want. However, you have to take into account which format will help show these specific elements the most (and in the easiest way), as well as a format you can write well in. E.g. I would have found it difficult to adapt Dracula into a poem format, while showing my understanding of the gothic.

Some examples of formats for WT1s: pastiche, diary entry, newspaper article, screenplay

The other type of WT1, WT1 Language, is similar but instead of showing an understanding of a specific text, you have show an understanding of the language involved. For example, language and gender - I personally did a WT1 Language on the suffrage movement through women's right speeches of the 20th Century.

Rationale (200-300 words)

This is the part of the WT1 where it is NOT a creative piece. This is where you state what you have done and how you have shown it through your Main Body through devices you have utilised, especially the "nature of the task"; what is your purpose? Who is your audience? Why this text type/format? What literary features have you used, and how does this show your understanding? Typically, this is at the beginning of your WT1 so when the examiner/teacher reads your Main Body, they are able to identify the devices you have utilised easily (and hence give your marks based on it). Here are some phrases to help you with this part:

• I have chose to create a... (outline task including reason for choosing narrative perspective and text type)
  • In the text/topic, a key theme/idea is... I wanted to express this through...
  • In order to show my understanding of... I have...
  • I have chose to write for... because...
  • One challenge I encountered was... however I overcame this by...

Here is the new syllabus for reference: http://www.ibo.org/diploma/assessment/subjectoutlines/documents/d_1_a1lan_gui-out_1102_1b_e.pdf

Ask if you have any questions! Hope I helped.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the information. Yeah, I forgot to mention I'm in Lang&Lit

So for example - newspaper article. I could start giving background information on Owen and then analyse the language he used, etc.?

Or what about an obituary, would that work?

It depends what your purpose is first. Is it to inform about Owen's life? Choose a purpose before a text type. But don't forget, you are basing it off the text you are given - any background information or research about the author is extraneous, the main focus has to be on the text, how its written, its conventions etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Sorry, I know it has been over two weeks since I made this thread but our deadline was extended and I have this due tomorrow now.

Hopefully someone can answer some further questions for me.

I don't really know where to start. I'm going to chose one of Owen's poems (still don't know which) and then what do I talk about exactly? I know it's about the language he uses, but more precisely... Like the techniques he uses, effects of the language?

I don't really know where to start. I'm going to chose one of Owen's poems (still don't know which) and then what do I talk about exactly? I know it's about the language he uses, but more precisely... Like the techniques he uses, effects of the language?

That depends on what your purpose is. The beauty (or pain) of WT1s is that you can be very creative, and basically choose whatever you want to do as long as you utilise your source material well. You could write a poem in the style of Owen to reveal some of the key themes he normally had in his original works. (For example. I have no idea, I don't remember studying Owen.)

• 3 weeks later...

any examples?

Sorry for the late reply!

I would post examples and the marks, however because Lang&Lit is a new course: 1) the exact method for marking it is more uncertain; 2) I'd like to submit my own work to the IBO first before I post any of my work on IB Survival; 3) I don't know of any examples the IBO has given for this. My school just distributes what it considers to be the 'best' work in my current cohort.

I would request from your English teachers/IB supervisor for a specific example, if I were you.