Non-regular Diploma?

r.h.a

In my school we have very limited options when it comes to IB subjects. We only have English (Language and Literature), Arabic (Language and Literature), French and Spanish (ab initio), Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Business and Management, Visual Arts, and Psychology. Also we cannot take Math nor Physics as HL subjects. I am not interested in neither Business and Management or Visual Arts or Psychology, so I chose to do a non-regular diploma where i do the 3 sciences, so I am taking English HL, Biology HL, and Chemistry HL as for the SL subjects, I am doing Math, Physics, and Arabic. Is it a good idea? Is anyone else also doing a non-regular diploma? I still have the chance to change my subjects, so what do you think?

I am thinking of majoring in Biomedical Engineering or Medical Techno, so I guess the 3 sciences will be useful.

With these subjects you are not going to be awarded a diploma, because you are lacking a group 3 subject. I warmly suggest you drop a science (I guess Physics) and take one of the humanities you mentioned, even though you don't like it.

If you really want, I guess you could be taking Physics SL as a 7th subject but imho your subject choice - Physics + a humanity should do.

You can still get your diploma, but you have to tell IBO why you have to take 3 sciences (which, from what I hear in most cases, is that the university you want to apply to requires 3 sciences in order to do that programme). Where are you planning to apply to?

Apart from that, your subjects are fine. Are you doing Maths SL or Studies? If you do Studies, it could affect your chances to get into your university course, particularly if you want to do engineering and if you want to apply to the UK.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Guest HayashiEsme

Like carpediem said: I believe the only school which demands for it is one in India - and they're asking for all 3 of your Sciences to be HL subjects. There is a guy in my school doing that, I believe he's doing well, but I personally think it doesn't make sense to do more than 2 Science subjects since the IB's meant to be an "all-rounder's" diploma