Engineering - what score do you I need to get?

Lilian Marita

Ok, so I am not doing that well. Well that is I am not passing all my subjects but I am only halfway through year 11. I want to a science course at uni possibly an engineering course. I have starting studying though not only just doing my homework. So is this a reasonable aspiration? I am getting 1/7 for Chem! And I am doing maths studies....so I need some advice.

You have to give us a lot more information than this. Like what country do you want to go to University in? Whereabouts do you want to study? A lot of Universities will advertise on their websites their minimum requirements for specific courses, so literally all you have to do is google it - which I suggest you do. Otherwise all we're doing is googling it FOR you!

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK you are extremely extremely unlikely to ever make it into an engineering course without HL Maths - or at least SL Maths! Engineering is a mathematical course so it rings alarm bells that you're taking the most basic form of Maths. Also that you're getting such low IB scores. Obviously you have to start working harder, but 1/7 is low even given no work. You may wish to consider whether you'd be able to cope with an engineering course :blink:

That's just for the UK, however. I have no idea where you want to apply, perhaps in other countries they don't worry that you've not demonstrated an aptitude for the skills which are required on the course.

Thanks for your advice. Sorry I wasn't clear, I live in Australia, Melbourne and want to go to uni at Melbourne University. I do realise I have to work harder. I understand what you're saying but I never wanting to do Chemistry. I wanted to do Biology. But our school doesn't offer it. I honestly don't try very hard but the thing I am understand more than I was than at the start of the year. I complete all my set work apart from one prac I haven't done. Yes and I have looked at the Melbourne Uni website. I realise also that I am doing the lowest level Maths course. But I was doing SL Maths but I didn't understand one bit. That is because I skipped a year. Yes you can say this a really bad idea, but if I study hard and pass all my exams and do TOK, CAS and the EE. My goal is possible. But thanks for your quick reply.

:)

Edited by Lilian Marita

I realise also that I am doing the lowest level Maths course. But I was doing SL Maths but I didn't understand one bit.

Chemistry is one of the hardest subjects and it's certainly not a subject you'd want to do unless you had to, so fair enough. However it's also going to take a lot of work if you want to get decent grades! I had to do HL Chemistry as a requirement for my University course and it was probably the hardest thing I did and I spent a lot of my time working on it.

The big thing with maths is really that you'll come across Maths significantly harder than SL when at University and be totally unequipped to deal with any of it. It just seems very unrealistic to me that you'd want to study a subject you have a poor command of - it's just a recipe for not being able to cope with (and subsequently dropping out of) University. Even if you got in, you may find that you're not really going to cope. If you've missed a year of relatively simple level Maths and found yourself incapable of keeping up with SL Maths (which isn't technically that demanding - although I know I found it very hard myself!), how do you think you can keep up with more difficult Maths at University when you're suddenly THREE years behind everybody else? :blink: They'll have been doing much more advanced Maths than you for 3 years - and as people who want to become engineers, they're likely to have an above average command of Maths so the teaching speed will be pretty fast. You may have an unfeasible level of catching up to do. A catching up which may prove impossible because you don't have a natural mathematical inclination (otherwise you would have been able to get the hang of SL Maths) and because of just how far behind it puts you.

I dunno it just sounds crazy to me, saying your goal is to study one of the things you appear to be struggling with most at University level. It's just shooting yourself in the foot before you've even begun.

Ok, so I am not doing that well. Well that is I am not passing all my subjects but I am only halfway through year 11. I want to a science course at uni possibly an engineering course. I have starting studying though not only just doing my homework. So is this a reasonable aspiration? I am getting 1/7 for Chem! And I am doing maths studies....so I need some advice.

Are you sure you want to do something like engineering? You seem to prefer something biology-based more.

Well, either way, you are still in yr 11. You still have time to work hard.

Last year in yr 11, we weren't really separated into hl and sl classes.

Everyone just had to do math sl last year. We only really separated into hl and studies in yr 12.

Anyway, it doesn't sound crazy to me.

If you know what you want, i say just work harder.

I don't see why you shouldnt be able to achieve the marks you want if you really try.

Just remember that you have to start working harder now.